Highly Transparent and Conductive Electrodes Enabled by Scalable Printing-and-Sintering of Silver Nanowires
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
Electrical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/663565
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSilver nanowires (Ag NWs) have promised well for flexible and transparent electronics. However, It remains an open question on how to achieve large-scale printing of Ag NWs with high optical transparency, electrical conductivity, and mechanical durability for practical applications, though extensive research for more than one decade. In this work, we propose a possible solution that integrates screen printing of Ag NWs with flash-light sintering (FLS). We demonstrate that the use of low-concentration, screen-printable Ag NW ink enables large-area and high-resolution patterning of Ag NWs. A critical advantage comes from the FLS process that allows low-temperature processing, short operational time, and high output rate - characteristics that fit the scalable manufacturing. Importantly, we show that the resultant Ag NW patterns feature low sheet resistance (1.1-9.2 Ohm/sq), high transparency (75.2-92.6%), and thus a remarkable figure of merit comparable to state of the art. These outstanding properties of Ag NW patterns, together with their scalable fabrication method we proposed, would facilitate many Ag NW-based applications, such as transparent heater, stretchable displays, and wearable devices; here, we demonstrate the novel design of flexible and transparent radio frequency 5G antennas.
Citationli, weiwei, Yarali, E., Bakytbekov, A., Anthopoulos, T. D., & Shamim, A. (2020). Highly Transparent and Conductive Electrodes Enabled by Scalable Printing-and-Sintering of Silver Nanowires. Nanotechnology. doi:10.1088/1361-6528/ab9c53
SponsorsThe research for this paper is financially supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Single Step Laser Transfer and Laser Curing of Ag NanoWires: A Digital Process for the Fabrication of Flexible and Transparent Microelectrodes.
- Authors: Zacharatos F, Karvounis P, Theodorakos I, Hatziapostolou A, Zergioti I
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 19
- Printing the Ultra-Long Ag Nanowires Inks onto the Flexible Textile Substrate for Stretchable Electronics.
- Authors: Ke SH, Xue QW, Pang CY, Guo PW, Yao WJ, Zhu HP, Wu W
- Issue date: 2019 May 2
- Self-Limited Nanosoldering of Silver Nanowires for High-Performance Flexible Transparent Heaters.
- Authors: Huang Y, Tian Y, Hang C, Liu Y, Wang S, Qi M, Zhang H, Zhao J
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 19
- Synthesis and Applications of Silver Nanowires for Transparent Conductive Films.
- Authors: Shi Y, He L, Deng Q, Liu Q, Li L, Wang W, Xin Z, Liu R
- Issue date: 2019 May 16
- Fabrication, Mechanisms, and Properties of High-Performance Flexible Transparent Conductive Gas-Barrier Films Based on Ag Nanowires and Atomic Layer Deposition.
- Authors: Su DY, Hsu CC, Lai WH, Tsai FY
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 18