AuthorsJulkowska, Magdalena M.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2020-06-03
Print Publication Date2020-06
Embargo End Date2021-06-05
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/663275
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhotosynthetic organisms can be found across most environments on Earth, including the most extreme ones. The McMurdo Valleys in Antarctica are among the driest and coldest places on the planet, and lakes in that region are permanently covered by 5 m of ice (Priscu et al., 1998). Lake Bonney, one of the McMurdo lakes, is home to a single-cell algal species, Chlamydomonas sp. UWO 241, which can withstand low temperatures, salinity levels exceeding those of seawater, and low light availability caused by the permanent ice coverage. The photosynthetic machinery of this organism is unique: it does not undergo state transitions (Morgan-Kiss et al., 2002), which usually adjust the distribution of light absorption between PSI and PSII.
CitationJulkowska, M. (2020). Extreme Engineering: How Antarctic Algae Adapt to Hypersalinity. Plant Physiology, 183(2), 427–428. doi:10.1104/pp.20.00467
- A novel omega-3 fatty acid desaturase involved in acclimation processes of polar condition from Antarctic ice algae Chlamydomonas sp. ICE-L.
- Authors: Zhang P, Liu S, Cong B, Wu G, Liu C, Lin X, Shen J, Huang X
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Cloning and Stress-Induced Expression Analysis of Calmodulin in the Antarctic Alga Chlamydomonas sp. ICE-L.
- Authors: He YY, Wang YB, Zheng Z, Liu FM, An ML, He XD, Qu CF, Li LL, Miao JL
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- The Antarctic sea ice alga Chlamydomonas sp. ICE-L provides insights into adaptive patterns of chloroplast evolution.
- Authors: Zhang Z, An M, Miao J, Gu Z, Liu C, Zhong B
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 3
- Molecular cloning and expression analysis of a cytosolic Hsp70 gene from Antarctic ice algae Chlamydomonas sp. ICE-L.
- Authors: Liu S, Zhang P, Cong B, Liu C, Lin X, Shen J, Huang X
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Molecular cloning and expression analysis of glutathione reductase gene in Chlamydomonas sp. ICE-L from Antarctica.
- Authors: Ding Y, Liu Y, Jian JC, Wu ZH, Miao JL
- Issue date: 2012 Mar