Manganese-Catalyzed Regioselective Dehydrogenative C- versus N-Alkylation Enabled by a Solvent Switch: Experiment and Computation
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2020-05-13
Print Publication Date2020-06-05
Embargo End Date2021-05-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/662838
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe first base metal-catalyzed regioselective dehydrogenative alkylation of indolines using readily available alcohols as the alkylating reagent is reported. A single air- and moisture-stable manganese catalyst provides access to either C3- or N-alkylated indoles depending on the solvent used. Mechanistic studies indicate that the reaction takes place through a combined acceptorless dehydrogenation and hydrogen autotransfer strategy.
CitationBorghs, J. C., Zubar, V., Azofra, L. M., Sklyaruk, J., & Rueping, M. (2020). Manganese-Catalyzed Regioselective Dehydrogenative C- versus N-Alkylation Enabled by a Solvent Switch: Experiment and Computation. Organic Letters. doi:10.1021/acs.orglett.0c01270
SponsorsThis work was financially supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia, Office of Sponsored Research (FCC/1/1974). We thank KAUST Supercomputing Laboratory for use of the supercomputer Shaheen II and providing the computational resources.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Manganese-Catalyzed Multicomponent Synthesis of Pyrroles through Acceptorless Dehydrogenation Hydrogen Autotransfer Catalysis: Experiment and Computation.
- Authors: Borghs JC, Azofra LM, Biberger T, Linnenberg O, Cavallo L, Rueping M, El-Sepelgy O
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 5
- C-Alkylation of Secondary Alcohols by Primary Alcohols through Manganese-Catalyzed Double Hydrogen Autotransfer.
- Authors: El-Sepelgy O, Matador E, Brzozowska A, Rueping M
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 5
- Discovery and mechanistic studies of a general air-promoted metal-catalyzed aerobic N-alkylation reaction of amides and amines with alcohols.
- Authors: Liu C, Liao S, Li Q, Feng S, Sun Q, Yu X, Xu Q
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 15
- Manganese-Catalyzed Hydrogen-Autotransfer C-C Bond Formation: α-Alkylation of Ketones with Primary Alcohols.
- Authors: Peña-López M, Piehl P, Elangovan S, Neumann H, Beller M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 21
- Synthesis of a-Alkylated Ketones via Tandem Acceptorless Dehydrogenation/a-Alkylation from Secondary and Primary Alcohols Catalyzed by Metal-Ligand Bifunctional Iridium Complex [Cp*Ir(2,2'-bpyO)(H2O)].
- Authors: Wang R, Ma J, Li F
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 6