Di Fabrizio, Enzo M.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Materials Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this paper, we propose the use of a standing nanowires array, constituted by plasmonic active gold wires grown on iron disks, and partially immersed in a supporting alumina matrix, for surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy applications. The galvanic process was used to fabricate nanowires in pores of anodized alumina template, making this device cost-effective. This fabrication method allows for the selection of size, diameter, and spatial arrangement of nanowires. The proposed device, thanks to a detailed design analysis, demonstrates a broadband plasmonic enhancement effect useful for many standard excitation wavelengths in the visible and NIR. The trigonal pores arrangement gives an efficiency weakly dependent on polarization. The devices, tested with 633 and 830 nm laser lines, show a significant Raman enhancement factor, up to around 6 × 10⁴, with respect to the flat gold surface, used as a reference for the measurements of the investigated molecules.
CitationMarinaro G, Das G, Giugni A, Allione M, Torre B, et al. (2018) Plasmonic Nanowires for Wide Wavelength Range Molecular Sensing. Materials 11: 827. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ma11050827.
SponsorsDFT calculations were carried out using the resources of the Supercomputing Laboratory at King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST) in Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- Noble metal nanowires: from plasmon waveguides to passive and active devices.
- Authors: Lal S, Hafner JH, Halas NJ, Link S, Nordlander P
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 20
- [Effect of the film of gold nanowire arrays on surface enhanced Raman scattering].
- Authors: Zhai XF, Mu C, Xu DS, Tong LM, Zhu T, Du WM
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Coaxial nanowires as plasmon-mediated remote nanosensors.
- Authors: Funes-Hernando D, Pelaez-Fernandez M, Winterauer D, Mevellec JY, Arenal R, Batten T, Humbert B, Duvail JL
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 5
- Structure of assemblies of metal nanowires in mesoporous alumina membranes studied by EXAFS, XANES, X-ray diffraction and SAXS.
- Authors: Benfield RE, Grandjean D, Dore JC, Esfahanian H, Wu Z, Kröll M, Geerkens M, Schmid G
- Issue date: 2004
- Silver nanowire layer-by-layer films as substrates for surface-enhanced Raman scattering.
- Authors: Aroca RF, Goulet PJ, dos Santos DS Jr, Alvarez-Puebla RA, Oliveira ON Jr
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 15