Nanosheets of Nonlayered Aluminum Metal-Organic Frameworks through a Surfactant-Assisted Method
Goesten, Maarten G.
Voets, Ilja K.
Weckhuysen, Bert M.
de Smet, Louis C. P. M.
Sudhölter, Ernst J. R.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Chemical and Biological Engineering Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring the last decade, the synthesis and application of metal-organic framework (MOF) nanosheets has received growing interest, showing unique performances for different technological applications. Despite the potential of this type of nanolamellar materials, the synthetic routes developed so far are restricted to MOFs possessing layered structures, limiting further development in this field. Here, a bottom-up surfactant-assisted synthetic approach is presented for the fabrication of nanosheets of various nonlayered MOFs, broadening the scope of MOF nanosheets application. Surfactant-assisted preorganization of the metallic precursor prior to MOF synthesis enables the manufacture of nonlayered Al-containing MOF lamellae. These MOF nanosheets are shown to exhibit a superior performance over other crystal morphologies for both chemical sensing and gas separation. As revealed by electron microscopy and diffraction, this superior performance arises from the shorter diffusion pathway in the MOF nanosheets, whose 1D channels are oriented along the shortest particle dimension.
CitationPustovarenko A, Goesten MG, Sachdeva S, Shan M, Amghouz Z, et al. (2018) Nanosheets of Nonlayered Aluminum Metal-Organic Frameworks through a Surfactant-Assisted Method. Advanced Materials: 1707234. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201707234.
SponsorsB.S. gratefully acknowledges the Netherlands National Science Foundation (NWO) for her personal VENI grant. J.G. gratefully acknowledges the ERC Grant Agreement no. 335746, CrystEng-MOF-MMM. The authors also thank Mr. Duco Bosma and Mr. Bart Boshuizen from TU Delft for technical and LABVIEW support and Dr. Dimitri Soccol and Prof. Dirk J. Gravesteijn for providing us with the transducer platforms. I.K.V. acknowledges the Netherlands Organisation for Scientiﬁc Research (NWO ECHO-STIP Grant 717.013.005, NWOVIDI Grant 723.014.006) and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (Gravity Program 024.001.035) for ﬁnancial support.
- Metal-organic framework nanosheets in polymer composite materials for gas separation.
- Authors: Rodenas T, Luz I, Prieto G, Seoane B, Miro H, Corma A, Kapteijn F, Llabrés I Xamena FX, Gascon J
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Two-dimensional metal-organic framework nanosheets: synthesis and applications.
- Authors: Zhao M, Huang Y, Peng Y, Huang Z, Ma Q, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 4
- Competitive coordination strategy for the synthesis of hierarchical-pore metal-organic framework nanostructures.
- Authors: He S, Chen Y, Zhang Z, Ni B, He W, Wang X
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1
- Ultrathin 2D Zirconium Metal-Organic Framework Nanosheets: Preparation and Application in Photocatalysis.
- Authors: He T, Ni B, Zhang S, Gong Y, Wang H, Gu L, Zhuang J, Hu W, Wang X
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Controlled Intercalation and Chemical Exfoliation of Layered Metal-Organic Frameworks Using a Chemically Labile Intercalating Agent.
- Authors: Ding Y, Chen YP, Zhang X, Chen L, Dong Z, Jiang HL, Xu H, Zhou HC
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 12