Inversion symmetry and bulk Rashba effect in methylammonium lead iodide perovskite single crystals
41467_2018_4212_MOESM3_ESM desc ad supp info.pdf
41467_2018_4212_MOESM1_ESM supp info.pdf
Barker, Bradford A.
Neaton, Jeffrey B.
Louie, Steven G.
KAUST DepartmentFunctional Nanomaterials Lab (FuNL)
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2018-05-08
Print Publication Date2018-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627901
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMethylammonium lead iodide perovskite (MAPbI3) exhibits long charge carrier lifetimes that are linked to its high efficiency in solar cells. Yet, the mechanisms governing these unusual carrier dynamics are not completely understood. A leading hypothesis-disproved in this work-is that a large, static bulk Rashba effect slows down carrier recombination. Here, using second harmonic generation rotational anisotropy measurements on MAPbI3 crystals, we demonstrate that the bulk structure of tetragonal MAPbI3 is centrosymmetric with I4/mcm space group. Our calculations show that a significant Rashba splitting in the bandstructure requires a non-centrosymmetric lead iodide framework, and that incorrect structural relaxations are responsible for the previously predicted large Rashba effect. The small Rashba splitting allows us to compute effective masses in excellent agreement with experiment. Our findings rule out the presence of a large static Rashba effect in bulk MAPbI3, and our measurements find no evidence of dynamic Rashba effects.
CitationFrohna K, Deshpande T, Harter J, Peng W, Barker BA, et al. (2018) Inversion symmetry and bulk Rashba effect in methylammonium lead iodide perovskite single crystals. Nature Communications 9. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-04212-w.
SponsorsM.B. acknowledges partial support from start-up funds and from the Space Solar Program Initiative at the California Institute of Technology. K.F. thanks the California Institute of Technology for support through the SURF fellowship program, and Peter Foley and Linn Leppert for fruitful discussions. SHG-RA measurements were supported by the U. S. Department of Energy under grant DE-SC0010533. D.H. also acknowledges funding for instrumentation from the Institute for Quantum Information and Matter, an NSF Physics Frontiers Center (PHY-1125565) with support of the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation through grant GBMF1250. O.M.B and W.P. acknowledge the support of KAUST. J.B.N. and S.G.L. were supported by the U.S. Department of Energy, Director, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Materials Sciences and Engineering Division, under Contract No. DE-AC02-05CH11231, through the Theory FWP (KC2301) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). This research used resources of the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center, a DOE Office of Science User Facility supported by the Office of Science of the U.S. Department of Energy under Contract No. DE-AC02- 05CH11231.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as The final publication is available at Springer via http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-04212-w
- Dynamical Origin of the Rashba Effect in Organohalide Lead Perovskites: A Key to Suppressed Carrier Recombination in Perovskite Solar Cells?
- Authors: Etienne T, Mosconi E, De Angelis F
- Issue date: 2016 May 5
- Rashba Band Splitting in Organohalide Lead Perovskites: Bulk and Surface Effects.
- Authors: Mosconi E, Etienne T, De Angelis F
- Issue date: 2017 May 18
- Origin of Rashba Spin-Orbit Coupling in 2D and 3D Lead Iodide Perovskites.
- Authors: Pham MT, Amerling E, Luong HM, Pham HT, Larsen GK, Whittaker-Brooks L, Nguyen TD
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 18
- Structural fluctuations cause spin-split states in tetragonal (CH<sub>3</sub>NH<sub>3</sub>)PbI<sub>3</sub> as evidenced by the circular photogalvanic effect.
- Authors: Niesner D, Hauck M, Shrestha S, Levchuk I, Matt GJ, Osvet A, Batentschuk M, Brabec C, Weber HB, Fauster T
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 18
- Elucidation of the role of guanidinium incorporation in single-crystalline MAPbI<sub>3</sub> perovskite on ion migration and activation energy.
- Authors: Mahapatra A, Runjhun R, Nawrocki J, Lewiński J, Kalam A, Kumar P, Trivedi S, Tavakoli MM, Prochowicz D, Yadav P
- Issue date: 2020 May 28