Multidirection Piezoelectricity in Mono- and Multilayered Hexagonal α-In2Se3
Wang, Zhong Lin
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Nano Energy Lab
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2018-04-25
Print Publication Date2018-05-22
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627858
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPiezoelectric materials have been widely used for sensors, actuators, electronics, and energy conversion. Two-dimensional (2D) ultrathin semiconductors, such as monolayer h-BN and MoS2 with their atom-level geometry, are currently emerging as new and attractive members of the piezoelectric family. However, their piezoelectric polarization is commonly limited to the in-plane direction of odd-number ultrathin layers, largely restricting their application in integrated nanoelectromechanical systems. Recently, theoretical calculations have predicted the existence of out-of-plane and in-plane piezoelectricity in monolayer α-In2Se3. Here, we experimentally report the coexistence of out-of-plane and in-plane piezoelectricity in monolayer to bulk α-In2Se3, attributed to their noncentrosymmetry originating from the hexagonal stacking. Specifically, the corresponding d33 piezoelectric coefficient of α-In2Se3 increases from 0.34 pm/V (monolayer) to 5.6 pm/V (bulk) without any odd-even effect. In addition, we also demonstrate a type of α-In2Se3-based flexible piezoelectric nanogenerator as an energy-harvesting cell and electronic skin. The out-of-plane and in-plane piezoelectricity in α-In2Se3 flakes offers an opportunity to enable both directional and nondirectional piezoelectric devices to be applicable for self-powered systems and adaptive and strain-tunable electronics/optoelectronics.
CitationXue F, Zhang J, Hu W, Hsu W-T, Han A, et al. (2018) Multidirection Piezoelectricity in Mono- and Multilayered Hexagonal α-In2Se3. ACS Nano. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.8b02152.
SponsorsResearch was supported by KAUST.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Large In-Plane and Vertical Piezoelectricity in Janus Transition Metal Dichalchogenides.
- Authors: Dong L, Lou J, Shenoy VB
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 22
- Two-Dimensional van der Waals Materials with Aligned In-Plane Polarization and Large Piezoelectric Effect for Self-Powered Piezoelectric Sensors.
- Authors: Dai M, Wang Z, Wang F, Qiu Y, Zhang J, Xu CY, Zhai T, Cao W, Fu Y, Jia D, Zhou Y, Hu PA
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 14
- Out-of-Plane Piezoelectricity and Ferroelectricity in Layered α-In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub> Nanoflakes.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Wu D, Zhu Y, Cho Y, He Q, Yang X, Herrera K, Chu Z, Han Y, Downer MC, Peng H, Lai K
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 13
- Probing Effective Out-of-Plane Piezoelectricity in van der Waals Layered Materials Induced by Flexoelectricity.
- Authors: Wang X, Cui A, Chen F, Xu L, Hu Z, Jiang K, Shang L, Chu J
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Piezoelectricity of single-atomic-layer MoS2 for energy conversion and piezotronics.
- Authors: Wu W, Wang L, Li Y, Zhang F, Lin L, Niu S, Chenet D, Zhang X, Hao Y, Heinz TF, Hone J, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 23