Critical review of the molecular design progress in non-fullerene electron acceptors towards commercially viable organic solar cells
Little, Mark S.
Brabec, Christoph J.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627688
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFullerenes have formed an integral part of high performance organic solar cells over the last 20 years, however their inherent limitations in terms of synthetic flexibility, cost and stability have acted as a motivation to develop replacements; the so-called non-fullerene electron acceptors. A rapid evolution of such materials has taken place over the last few years, yielding a number of promising candidates that can exceed the device performance of fullerenes and provide opportunities to improve upon the stability and processability of organic solar cells. In this review we explore the structure-property relationships of a library of non-fullerene acceptors, highlighting the important chemical modifications that have led to progress in the field and provide an outlook for future innovations in electron acceptors for use in organic photovoltaics.
CitationWadsworth A, Moser M, Marks A, Little MS, Gasparini N, et al. (2018) Critical review of the molecular design progress in non-fullerene electron acceptors towards commercially viable organic solar cells. Chemical Society Reviews. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c7cs00892a.
SponsorsWe acknowledge funding from KAUST and BASF, as well as EPSRC Project EP/G037515/1, EP/M005143/1, EC FP7 Project SC2 (610115), and EC H2020 Project SOLEDLIGHT (643791) for their financial support.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalChemical Society Reviews
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This Open Access Article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported Licence
- Non-fullerene electron acceptors for use in organic solar cells.
- Authors: Nielsen CB, Holliday S, Chen HY, Cryer SJ, McCulloch I
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 17
- Small-Molecule Electron Acceptors for Efficient Non-fullerene Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Zhang Z, Yuan J, Wei Q, Zou Y
- Issue date: 2018
- Polymer Donors for High-Performance Non-Fullerene Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Fu H, Wang Z, Sun Y
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 26
- Molecular electron acceptors for efficient fullerene-free organic solar cells.
- Authors: Li S, Zhang Z, Shi M, Li CZ, Chen H
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1
- Small Molecule Based Non-Fullerene Acceptors: A Comparative Study.
- Authors: Patil Y, Misra R
- Issue date: 2018 Sep