Modify the Histone to Win the Battle: Chromatin Dynamics in Plant–Pathogen Interactions
AuthorsRamirez Prado, Juan Sebastian
Piquerez, Sophie J. M.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Plant Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627525
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRelying on an immune system comes with a high energetic cost for plants. Defense responses in these organisms are therefore highly regulated and fine-tuned, permitting them to respond pertinently to the attack of a microbial pathogen. In recent years, the importance of the physical modification of chromatin, a highly organized structure composed of genomic DNA and its interacting proteins, has become evident in the research field of plant-pathogen interactions. Several processes, including DNA methylation, changes in histone density and variants, and various histone modifications, have been described as regulators of various developmental and defense responses. Herein, we review the state of the art in the epigenomic aspects of plant immunity, focusing on chromatin modifications, chromatin modifiers, and their physiological consequences. In addition, we explore the exciting field of understanding how plant pathogens have adapted to manipulate the plant epigenomic regulation in order to weaken their immune system and thrive in their host, as well as how histone modifications in eukaryotic pathogens are involved in the regulation of their virulence.
CitationRamirez-Prado JS, Piquerez SJM, Bendahmane A, Hirt H, Raynaud C, et al. (2018) Modify the Histone to Win the Battle: Chromatin Dynamics in Plant–Pathogen Interactions. Frontiers in Plant Science 9. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2018.00355.
SponsorsThe contribution of AB to this work was supported by the European Research Council (ERC-SEXYPARTH) and the Agence Nationale de la Recherche (contract ANR-17-CE20-0019-01 EPISEX).
PublisherFrontiers Media SA
JournalFrontiers in Plant Science
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.
- Chromatin Profiling of the Repetitive and Nonrepetitive Genomes of the Human Fungal Pathogen Candida albicans.
- Authors: Price RJ, Weindling E, Berman J, Buscaino A
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 23
- Epigenetic Mechanisms: An Emerging Player in Plant-Microbe Interactions.
- Authors: Zhu QH, Shan WX, Ayliffe MA, Wang MB
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Revealing eukaryotic histone-modifying mechanisms through bacterial infection.
- Authors: Dong W, Hamon MA
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Epigenetic Control of Defense Signaling and Priming in Plants.
- Authors: Espinas NA, Saze H, Saijo Y
- Issue date: 2016
- Chromatin Dynamics Contribute to the Spatiotemporal Expression Pattern of Virulence Genes in a Fungal Plant Pathogen.
- Authors: Meile L, Peter J, Puccetti G, Alassimone J, McDonald BA, Sánchez-Vallet A
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 6