KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical and Biological Engineering Program
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2018-04-02
Print Publication Date2018-05
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627509
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAtmospheric water is abundant alternative water resource, equivalent to 6 times of water in all rivers on Earth. This work screens 14 common anhydrous and hydrated salt couples in terms of their physical and chemical stability, water vapor harvesting and release capacity under relevant application scenarios. Among the salts screened, copper chloride (CuCl2), copper sulfate (CuSO4) and magnesium sulfate (MgSO4) distinguish themselves and are further made into bi-layer water collection devices, with the top layer being photothermal layer while the bottom layer being salt-loaded fibrous membrane. The water collection devices are capable of capturing water vapor out of the air with low relative humidity (down to 15 %) and releasing water under regular and even weakened sunlight (i.e. 0.7 kW/m2). The work shines light on the potential use of anhydrous salt towards producing drinking water in water scarce regions.
CitationLi R, Shi Y, Shi L, Alsaedi M, Wang P (2018) Harvesting Water from Air: Using Anhydrous Salt with Sunlight. Environmental Science & Technology. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.7b06373.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) center competitive fund (CCF) awarded to Water Desalination and Reuse Center (WDRC).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Hybrid Hydrogel with High Water Vapor Harvesting Capacity for Deployable Solar-Driven Atmospheric Water Generator.
- Authors: Li R, Shi Y, Alsaedi M, Wu M, Shi L, Wang P
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 2
- Water harvesting from air with metal-organic frameworks powered by natural sunlight.
- Authors: Kim H, Yang S, Rao SR, Narayanan S, Kapustin EA, Furukawa H, Umans AS, Yaghi OM, Wang EN
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 28
- Superelastic Graphene Nanocomposite for High Cycle-Stability Water Capture-Release under Sunlight.
- Authors: Chen B, Zhao X, Yang Y
- Issue date: 2019 May 1
- Humidity- and Sunlight-Driven Motion of a Chemically Bonded Polymer Bilayer with Programmable Surface Patterns.
- Authors: Zhang L, Qiu X, Yuan Y, Zhang T
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 29
- Efficient Solar-Driven Water Harvesting from Arid Air with Metal-Organic Frameworks Modified by Hygroscopic Salt.
- Authors: Xu J, Li T, Chao J, Wu S, Yan T, Li W, Cao B, Wang R
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 23