A new species of Arachnanthus from the Red Sea (Cnidaria, Ceriantharia)
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
KAUST Grant NumberCRG-01-BER-2012-002
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new species of the genus Arachnanthus (Cnidaria: Ceriantharia), Arachnanthus lilith Stampar & El Didi, sp. n., is described. This species is widely distributed in the Red Sea, and recorded from 2–30 m depths. Arachnanthus lilith Stampar & El Didi, sp. n. is the fifth species of the genus and the first recorded from the Red Sea. The number of labial tentacle pseudocycles, arrangement of mesenteries, and distribution of acontioids allow the differentiation of the new species from other species of the genus.
CitationStampar SN, El Didi SO, Paulay G, Berumen ML (2018) A new species of Arachnanthus from the Red Sea (Cnidaria, Ceriantharia). ZooKeys 748: 1–10. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.748.22914.
SponsorsSED is thankful to the CNPq for a fellowship. This work was partly supported by São Paulo Research Foundation FAPESP 2015/24408-4, 2016/50389-0, 2017/50028-0, CNPq 404121/2016-0 and CAPES/CNPQ – PROTAX II 88882.156878/2016-01 to SNS, as well as the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (award number CRG-01-BER-2012-002 to MLB). We are also grateful to Drs. Bert W. Hoeksema and Kensuke Yanagi for their helpful comments and suggestions.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
- Pachyseris inattesa sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia): a new reef coral species from the Red Sea and its phylogenetic relationships.
- Authors: Terraneo TI, Berumen ML, Arrigoni R, Waheed Z, Bouwmeester J, Caragnano A, Stefani F, Benzoni F
- Issue date: 2014
- Cyphastreakausti sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia), a new species of reef coral from the Red Sea.
- Authors: Bouwmeester J, Benzoni F, Baird AH, Berumen ML
- Issue date: 2015
- Search for mesophotic octocorals (Cnidaria, Anthozoa) and their phylogeny: I. A new sclerite-free genus from Eilat, northern Red Sea.
- Authors: Benayahu Y, McFadden CS, Shoham E
- Issue date: 2017
- Unexpected diversity and new species in the sponge-Parazoanthidae association in southern Japan.
- Authors: Montenegro J, Sinniger F, Reimer JD
- Issue date: 2015 Aug