Large Dielectric Constant Enhancement in MXene Percolative Polymer Composites
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
Abstractnear the percolation limit of about 15.0 wt % MXene loading, which surpasses all previously reported composites made of carbon-based fillers in the same polymer. With up to 10 wt % MXene loading, the dielectric loss of the MXene/P(VDF-TrFE-CFE) composite indicates only an approximately 5-fold increase (from 0.06 to 0.35), while the dielectric constant increased by 25 times over the same composition range. Furthermore, the ratio of permittivity to loss factor of the MXene-polymer composite is superior to that of all previously reported fillers in this same polymer. The dielectric constant enhancement effect is demonstrated to exist in other polymers as well when loaded with MXene. We show that the dielectric constant enhancement is largely due to the charge accumulation caused by the formation of microscopic dipoles at the surfaces between the MXene sheets and the polymer matrix under an external applied electric field.
CitationTu S, Jiang Q, Zhang X, Alshareef HN (2018) Large Dielectric Constant Enhancement in MXene Percolative Polymer Composites. ACS Nano. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.7b08895.
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication is supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors would like to thank the Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Laboratory at KAUST for their excellent assistance.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Chemical bonding-induced low dielectric loss and low conductivity in high-K poly(vinylidenefluoride-trifluorethylene)/graphene nanosheets nanocomposites.
- Authors: Wen F, Xu Z, Tan S, Xia W, Wei X, Zhang Z
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 9
- Enhanced Dielectric Properties of LaNiO<sub>3</sub>/BaTiO<sub>3</sub>/PVDF: A Three-Phase Percolative Polymer Nanocrystal Composite.
- Authors: Jaschin PW, Bhimireddi R, Varma KBR
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 15
- Core-shell structured hyperbranched aromatic polyamide/BaTiO3 hybrid filler for poly(vinylidene fluoride-trifluoroethylene-chlorofluoroethylene) nanocomposites with the dielectric constant comparable to that of percolative composites.
- Authors: Xie L, Huang X, Huang Y, Yang K, Jiang P
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 13
- Achieving High Energy Density in PVDF-Based Polymer Blends: Suppression of Early Polarization Saturation and Enhancement of Breakdown Strength.
- Authors: Zhang X, Shen Y, Shen Z, Jiang J, Chen L, Nan CW
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 3
- Using a novel rigid-fluoride polymer to control the interfacial thickness of graphene and tailor the dielectric behavior of poly(vinylidene fluoride-trifluoroethylene-chlorotrifluoroethylene) nanocomposites.
- Authors: Han X, Chen S, Lv X, Luo H, Zhang D, Bowen CR
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 24