Synthesis of Sub-10 nm Two-Dimensional Covalent Organic Thin Film with Sharp Molecular Sieving Nanofiltration
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberFCC/1/1972-19-01
Online Publication Date2018-04-05
Print Publication Date2018-04-18
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627417
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrated here a novel and facile synthesis of two-dimensional (2D) covalent organic thin film with pore size around 1.5 nm using a planar, amphiphilic and substituted heptacyclic truxene based triamine and a simple dialdehyde as building blocks by dynamic imine bond formation at the air/water interface using Langmuir–Blodgett (LB) method. Optical microscopy (OM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and atomic force microscopy (AFM), all unanimously showed the formation of large, molecularly thin and free-standing membrane that can be easily transferred on different substrate surfaces. The 2D membrane supported on a porous polysulfone showed a rejection rate of 64 and 71% for NaCl and MgSO4, respectively, and a clear molecular sieving at molecular size around 1.3 nm, which demonstrated a great potential in the application of pretreatment of seawater desalination and separation of organic molecules.
CitationGadwal I, Sheng G, Thankamony RL, Liu Y, Li H, et al. (2018) Synthesis of Sub-10 nm Two-Dimensional Covalent Organic Thin Film with Sharp Molecular Sieving Nanofiltration. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b19450.
SponsorsWe acknowledge the support from the KAUST center competitive fund FCC/1/1972-19-01.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Synthesis of a Two-Dimensional Covalent Organic Monolayer through Dynamic Imine Chemistry at the Air/Water Interface.
- Authors: Dai W, Shao F, Szczerbiński J, McCaffrey R, Zenobi R, Jin Y, Schlüter AD, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 4
- Crystalline 2D Covalent Organic Framework Membranes for High-Flux Organic Solvent Nanofiltration.
- Authors: Shinde DB, Sheng G, Li X, Ostwal M, Emwas AH, Huang KW, Lai Z
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 31
- Laminated self-standing covalent organic framework membrane with uniformly distributed subnanopores for ionic and molecular sieving.
- Authors: Li Y, Wu Q, Guo X, Zhang M, Chen B, Wei G, Li X, Li X, Li S, Ma L
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 30
- Pore engineering of ultrathin covalent organic framework membranes for organic solvent nanofiltration and molecular sieving.
- Authors: Shinde DB, Cao L, Wonanke ADD, Li X, Kumar S, Liu X, Hedhili MN, Emwas AH, Addicoat M, Huang KW, Lai Z
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 30
- Fast Desalination by Multilayered Covalent Organic Framework (COF) Nanosheets.
- Authors: Zhou W, Wei M, Zhang X, Xu F, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2019 May 8