Observation of Wigner crystal phase and ripplon-limited mobility behavior in monolayer CVD MoS<sub>2</sub> with grain boundary
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo-dimensional electron gas (2DEG) is crucial in condensed matter physics and is present on the surface of liquid helium and at the interface of semiconductors. Monolayer MoS2 of 2D materials also contains 2DEG in an atomic layer as field effect transistor (FET) ultrathin channel. In this study, we synthesized double triangular MoS<sub>2</sub> through a chemical vapor deposition method to obtain grain boundaries for forming a ripple structure in FET channel. When the temperature was higher than approximately 175 K, the temperature dependence of the electron mobility μ was consistent with those in previous experiments and theoretical predictions. When the temperature was lower than approximately 175 K, the mobility behavior decreased with the temperature; this finding was also consistent with that of the previous experiments. We are the first research group to explain the decreasing mobility behavior by using the Wigner crystal phase and to discover the temperature independence of ripplon-limited mobility behavior at lower temperatures. Although these mobility behaviors have been studied on the surface of liquid helium through theories and experiments, they have not previously analyzed in 2D materials and semiconductors. We are the first research group to report the similar temperature-dependent mobility behavior of the surface of liquid helium and the monolayer MoS<sub>2</sub>.
CitationChen J-H, Zhong Y-L, Li L-J, Chen C-D (2018) Observation of Wigner crystal phase and ripplon-limited mobility behavior in monolayer CVD MoS2 with grain boundary. Nanotechnology. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1361-6528/aab5ff.
SponsorsThis study was funded by the National Science Council of Taiwan (MOST 104-2112-M-033-006).
- Centimeter-Scale CVD Growth of Highly Crystalline Single-Layer MoS<sub>2</sub> Film with Spatial Homogeneity and the Visualization of Grain Boundaries.
- Authors: Tao L, Chen K, Chen Z, Chen W, Gui X, Chen H, Li X, Xu JB
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 5
- Analysis of noise generation and electric conduction at grain boundaries in CVD-grown MoS<sub>2</sub> field effect transistors.
- Authors: Kim JK, Song Y, Kim TY, Cho K, Pak J, Choi BY, Shin J, Chung S, Lee T
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 24
- Synthesis and defect investigation of two-dimensional molybdenum disulfide atomic layers.
- Authors: Najmaei S, Yuan J, Zhang J, Ajayan P, Lou J
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 20
- High-Field Transport and Velocity Saturation in Synthetic Monolayer MoS<sub>2</sub>.
- Authors: Smithe KKH, English CD, Suryavanshi SV, Pop E
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 11
- Impact of Contact on the Operation and Performance of Back-Gated Monolayer MoS2 Field-Effect-Transistors.
- Authors: Liu W, Sarkar D, Kang J, Cao W, Banerjee K
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 25