Alternative Thieno[3,2-b]benzothiophene Isoindigo Polymers for Solar Cell Applications
Hallani, Rawad K.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis work reports the synthesis, characterization, photophysical, and photovoltaic properties of five new thieno[3,2-b]benzothiophene isoindigo (TBTI)-containing low bandgap donor-acceptor conjugated polymers with a series of comonomers and different side chains. When TBTI is combined with different electron-rich moieties, even small structural variations can have significant impact on thin film morphology of the polymer:phenyl C70 butyric acid methyl ester (PCBM) blends. More importantly, high-resolution electron energy loss spectroscopy is used to investigate the phase-separated bulk heterojunction domains, which can be accurately and precisely resolved, enabling an enhanced correlation between polymer chemical structure, photovoltaic device performance, and morphology.
CitationNeophytou M, Bryant D, Lopatin S, Chen H, Hallani RK, et al. (2018) Alternative Thieno[3,2-b]benzothiophene Isoindigo Polymers for Solar Cell Applications. Macromolecular Rapid Communications: 1700820. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/marc.201700820.
SponsorsThe authors thank the financial support by Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship with the 7th European Community Framework Programme (No. FP7-PEOPLE-2013-IEF-622187), the Young National 1000-Talents Program of China, National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 21702240), EC FP7 SC2 (No. 610115), EC H2020 (No. 643791), and EPSRC Project Nos. EP/G037515/1 P/M024873/1 and EP/M005143/1.
- Diketopyrrolopyrrole-based π-bridged donor-acceptor polymer for photovoltaic applications.
- Authors: Li W, Lee T, Oh SJ, Kagan CR
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Molecular design of photovoltaic materials for polymer solar cells: toward suitable electronic energy levels and broad absorption.
- Authors: Li Y
- Issue date: 2012 May 15
- Donor-Acceptor Copolymers Based on Thermally Cleavable Indigo, Isoindigo, and DPP Units: Synthesis, Field Effect Transistors, and Polymer Solar Cells.
- Authors: Liu C, Dong S, Cai P, Liu P, Liu S, Chen J, Liu F, Ying L, Russell TP, Huang F, Cao Y
- Issue date: 2015 May 6
- Design, synthesis, and structure-property relationships of isoindigo-based conjugated polymers.
- Authors: Lei T, Wang JY, Pei J
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 15
- 25th anniversary article: isoindigo-based polymers and small molecules for bulk heterojunction solar cells and field effect transistors.
- Authors: Wang E, Mammo W, Andersson MR
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 26