Physical Removal of Anions from Aqueous Media by Means of a Macrocycle-Containing Polymeric Network
Khashab, Niveen M.
Sessler, Jonathan L.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627273
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractReported here is a hydrogel-forming polymer network that contains a water-soluble tetracationic macrocycle. Upon immersion of this polymer network in aqueous solutions containing various inorganic and organic salts, changes in the physical properties are observed that are consistent with absorption of the constituent anions into the polymer network. This absorption is ascribed to host-guest interactions involving the tetracationic macrocyclic receptor. Removal of the anions may then be achieved by lifting the resulting hydrogels out of the aqueous phase. Treating the anion-containing hydrogels with dilute HCl leads to the protonation-induced release of the bound anions. This allows the hydrogels to be recycled for reuse. The present polymer network thus provides a potentially attractive approach to removing undesired anions from aqueous environments.
CitationJi X, Wu R-T, Long L, Guo C, Khashab NM, et al. (2018) Physical Removal of Anions from Aqueous Media by Means of a Macrocycle-Containing Polymeric Network. Journal of the American Chemical Society 140: 2777–2780. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.7b13656.
SponsorsThe American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund (Grant No. 56925-ND7 to J.L.S.), the Robert A. Welch Foundation (F-0018 to J.L.S.), the National Basic Research Program (2013CB834502 to F.H.), the NSFC/China (91527301, 21434005 to F.H.), and the collaborative research grant (CRG 6 to N.M.K.) of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology are acknowledged for financial support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Removal of Anions from Aqueous Media by Means of a Thermoresponsive Calixpyrrole Amphiphilic Polymer.
- Authors: Ji X, Guo C, Chen W, Long L, Zhang G, Khashab NM, Sessler JL
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 22
- Supramolecular polymers constructed from macrocycle-based host-guest molecular recognition motifs.
- Authors: Dong S, Zheng B, Wang F, Huang F
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 15
- A bambusuril macrocycle that binds anions in water with high affinity and selectivity.
- Authors: Yawer MA, Havel V, Sindelar V
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 2
- Reactive phosphorus removal from aquaculture and poultry productions systems using polymeric hydrogels.
- Authors: Kofinas P, Kioussis DR
- Issue date: 2003 Jan 15
- Controlling amphiphilic copolymer self-assembly morphologies based on macrocycle/anion recognition and nucleotide-induced payload release.
- Authors: Ji X, Wang H, Li Y, Xia D, Li H, Tang G, Sessler JL, Huang F
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 1