KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract2D MXenes have shown great promise in electrochemical and electromagnetic shielding applications. However, their potential use in electronic devices is significantly less explored. The unique combination of metallic conductivity and hydrophilic surface suggests that MXenes can also be promising in electronics and sensing applications. Here, it is shown that metallic Ti3C2 MXene with work function of 4.60 eV can make good electrical contact with both zinc oxide (ZnO) and tin monoxide (SnO) semiconductors, with negligible band offsets. Consequently, both n-type ZnO and p-type SnO thin-film transistors (TFTs) have been fabricated entirely using large-area MXene (Ti3C2) electrical contacts, including gate, source, and drain. The n- and p-type TFTs show balanced performance, including field-effect mobilities of 2.61 and 2.01 cm2 V−1 s−1 and switching ratios of 3.6 × 106 and 1.1 × 103, respectively. Further, complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) inverters are demonstrated. The CMOS inverters show large voltage gain of 80 and excellent noise margin of 3.54 V, which is 70.8% of the ideal value. Moreover, the operation of CMOS inverters is shown to be very stable under a 100 Hz square waveform input. The current results suggest that MXene (Ti3C2) can play an important role as contact material in nanoelectronics.
CitationWang Z, Kim H, Alshareef HN (2018) Oxide Thin-Film Electronics using All-MXene Electrical Contacts. Advanced Materials: 1706656. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201706656.
SponsorsZ.W. and H.K. contributed equally to this work. Research reported in this publication was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Control of Ambipolar Transport in SnO Thin-Film Transistors by Back-Channel Surface Passivation for High Performance Complementary-like Inverters.
- Authors: Luo H, Liang L, Cao H, Dai M, Lu Y, Wang M
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 12
- Selective Conversion from p-Type to n-Type of Printed Bottom-Gate Carbon Nanotube Thin-Film Transistors and Application in Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Inverters.
- Authors: Xu Q, Zhao J, Pecunia V, Xu W, Zhou C, Dou J, Gu W, Lin J, Mo L, Zhao Y, Cui Z
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 12
- Low-voltage operation of ZrO2-gated n-type thin-film transistors based on a channel formed by hybrid phases of SnO and SnO2.
- Authors: Chu HC, Shen YS, Hsieh CH, Huang JH, Wu YH
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 22
- Photo-Patternable ZnO Thin Films Based on Cross-Linked Zinc Acrylate for Organic/Inorganic Hybrid Complementary Inverters.
- Authors: Jeong YJ, An TK, Yun DJ, Kim LH, Park S, Kim Y, Nam S, Lee KH, Kim SH, Jang J, Park CE
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 2
- Flexible CMOS-Like Circuits Based on Printed P-Type and N-Type Carbon Nanotube Thin-Film Transistors.
- Authors: Zhang X, Zhao J, Dou J, Tange M, Xu W, Mo L, Xie J, Xu W, Ma C, Okazaki T, Cui Z
- Issue date: 2016 Sep