Ligand-Controlled Chemoselective C(acyl)–O Bond vs C(aryl)–C Bond Activation of Aromatic Esters in Nickel Catalyzed C(sp2)–C(sp3) Cross-Couplings
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberURF/1/3030-01
Online Publication Date2018-02-20
Print Publication Date2018-03-14
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627261
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA ligand-controlled and site-selective nickel catalyzed Suzuki-Miyaura cross-coupling reaction with aromatic esters and alkyl organoboron reagents as coupling partners was developed. This methodology provides a facile route for C(sp2)-C(sp3) bond formation in a straightforward fashion by successful suppression of the undesired β-hydride elimination process. By simply switching the phosphorus ligand, the ester substrates are converted into the alkylated arenes and ketone products, respectively. The utility of this newly developed protocol was demonstrated by its wide substrate scope, broad functional group tolerance and application in the synthesis of key intermediates for the synthesis of bioactive compounds. DFT studies on the oxidative addition step helped rationalizing this intriguing reaction chemoselectivity: whereas nickel complexes with bidentate ligands favor the C(aryl)-C bond cleavage in the oxidative addition step leading to the alkylated product via a decarbonylative process, nickel complexes with monodentate phosphorus ligands favor activation of the C(acyl)-O bond, which later generates the ketone product.
CitationChatupheeraphat A, Liao H-H, Srimontree W, Guo L, Minenkov Y, et al. (2018) Ligand-Controlled Chemoselective C(acyl)–O Bond vs C(aryl)–C Bond Activation of Aromatic Esters in Nickel Catalyzed C(sp2)–C(sp3) Cross-Couplings. Journal of the American Chemical Society. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.7b12865.
SponsorsH.-H.L. thanks the DAAD for a doctoral fellowship. A.P. thanks the Spanish MINECO for a project CTQ2014-59832-JIN. This research was supported by the KAUST Office of Sponsored Research under Award No. URF/1/3030-01. L.C. thanks the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for supporting this work. For computer time, this research used the resources of the KAUST Supercomputing Laboratory (KSL) at KAUST.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Decarbonylative Cross-Couplings: Nickel Catalyzed Functional Group Interconversion Strategies for the Construction of Complex Organic Molecules.
- Authors: Guo L, Rueping M
- Issue date: 2018 May 15
- Mechanism and Selectivity Control in Ni- and Pd-Catalyzed Cross-Couplings Involving Carbon-Oxygen Bond Activation.
- Authors: Zhang SQ, Hong X
- Issue date: 2021 May 4
- Mechanisms and origins of switchable chemoselectivity of Ni-catalyzed C(aryl)-O and C(acyl)-O activation of aryl esters with phosphine ligands.
- Authors: Hong X, Liang Y, Houk KN
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 5
- Mechanistic study of chemoselectivity in Ni-catalyzed coupling reactions between azoles and aryl carboxylates.
- Authors: Lu Q, Yu H, Fu Y
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 11
- Stereospecific nickel-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions of benzylic ethers and esters.
- Authors: Tollefson EJ, Hanna LE, Jarvo ER
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 18