Habitat characteristics provide insights of carbon storage in seagrass meadows
Lavery, Paul S.
Lovelock, Catherine E.
Duarte, Carlos M.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeagrass meadows provide multiple ecosystem services, yet they are among the most threatened ecosystems on earth. Because of their role as carbon sinks, protection and restoration of seagrass meadows contribute to climate change mitigation. Blue Carbon strategies aim to enhance CO2 sequestration and avoid greenhouse gasses emissions through the management of coastal vegetated ecosystems, including seagrass meadows. The implementation of Blue Carbon strategies requires a good understanding of the habitat characteristics that influence Corg sequestration. Here, we review the existing knowledge on Blue Carbon research in seagrass meadows to identify the key habitat characteristics that influence Corg sequestration in seagrass meadows, those factors that threaten this function and those with unclear effects. We demonstrate that not all seagrass habitats have the same potential, identify research priorities and describe the implications of the results found for the implementation and development of efficient Blue Carbon strategies based on seagrass meadows.
CitationMazarrasa I, Samper-Villarreal J, Serrano O, Lavery PS, Lovelock CE, et al. (2018) Habitat characteristics provide insights of carbon storage in seagrass meadows. Marine Pollution Bulletin. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.01.059.
SponsorsIM was supported by a grant from Beca Iberoamericana Santander Investigación. OS was supported by an ARC DECRA (DE170101524). JS and JC thank the Vicerrectoría de Investigación, Universidad de Costa Rica (project No. 808-B6-170).
JournalMarine Pollution Bulletin
- [Seagrass ecosystems: contributions to and mechanisms of carbon sequestration].
- Authors: Qiu GL, Lin HJ, Li ZS, Fan HQ, Zhou HL, Liu GH
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Impact of mooring activities on carbon stocks in seagrass meadows.
- Authors: Serrano O, Ruhon R, Lavery PS, Kendrick GA, Hickey S, Masqué P, Arias-Ortiz A, Steven A, Duarte CM
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 16
- Carbon storage in the seagrass meadows of Gazi Bay, Kenya.
- Authors: Githaiga MN, Kairo JG, Gilpin L, Huxham M
- Issue date: 2017
- Seagrass restoration enhances "blue carbon" sequestration in coastal waters.
- Authors: Greiner JT, McGlathery KJ, Gunnell J, McKee BA
- Issue date: 2013
- Carbon stocks and accumulation rates in Red Sea seagrass meadows.
- Authors: Serrano O, Almahasheer H, Duarte CM, Irigoien X
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 9