Overexpression of endothelin B receptor in glioblastoma: a prognostic marker and therapeutic target?
Cui, Huanhuan L.
Wong, Kum Thong
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackgroundGlioblastoma (GBM) is the most common malignant brain tumor with median survival of 12-15 months. Owing to uncertainty in clinical outcome, additional prognostic marker(s) apart from existing markers are needed. Since overexpression of endothelin B receptor (ETBR) has been demonstrated in gliomas, we aimed to test whether ETBR is a useful prognostic marker in GBM and examine if the clinically available endothelin receptor antagonists (ERA) could be useful in the disease treatment.MethodsData from The Cancer Genome Atlas and the Gene Expression Omnibus database were analyzed to assess ETBR expression. For survival analysis, glioblastoma samples from 25 Swedish patients were immunostained for ETBR, and the findings were correlated with clinical history. The druggability of ETBR was assessed by protein-protein interaction network analysis. ERAs were analyzed for toxicity in in vitro assays with GBM and breast cancer cells.ResultsBy bioinformatics analysis, ETBR was found to be upregulated in glioblastoma patients, and its expression levels were correlated with reduced survival. ETBR interacts with key proteins involved in cancer pathogenesis, suggesting it as a druggable target. In vitro viability assays showed that ERAs may hold promise to treat glioblastoma and breast cancer.ConclusionsETBR is overexpressed in glioblastoma and other cancers and may be a prognostic marker in glioblastoma. ERAs may be useful for treating cancer patients.
CitationVasaikar S, Tsipras G, Landázuri N, Costa H, Wilhelmi V, et al. (2018) Overexpression of endothelin B receptor in glioblastoma: a prognostic marker and therapeutic target? BMC Cancer 18. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12885-018-4012-7.
SponsorsThis work was supported by Sten A Olssons Foundation for Research and Culture, Family Erling-Persson Foundation, Torsten Söderberg Foundation, BILTEMA Foundation, lngaBritt and Arne Lundbergs Foundation, Stichting af Jochnick Foundation, Jane and Dan Olssons Research Foundation, Nexttobe, Swedish Cancer Foundation, Children’s Cancer Foundation, Swedish Medical Research Council, Thematic Cardiovascular Research Center and Stockholm County Council, and the Swedish Heart-Lung Foundation, VINNOVA-BIO-X and Medivir AB (all to CSN), Cure cancer /Bota Cancer (to KCY). The funding body had no role in the design of the study and collection, analysis, and interpretation of data and in writing the manuscript.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.
- Endothelin B receptor expression in malignant gliomas: the perivascular immune escape mechanism of gliomas.
- Authors: Nakashima S, Sugita Y, Miyoshi H, Arakawa F, Muta H, Ishibashi Y, Niino D, Ohshima K, Terasaki M, Nakamura Y, Morioka M
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Endothelin B receptor expression correlates with tumour angiogenesis and prognosis in oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Tanaka T, Sho M, Takayama T, Wakatsuki K, Matsumoto S, Migita K, Ito M, Hamada K, Nakajima Y
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 18
- TNFα-induced airway smooth muscle cell proliferation depends on endothelin receptor signaling, GM-CSF and IL-6.
- Authors: Knobloch J, Yanik SD, Körber S, Stoelben E, Jungck D, Koch A
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 15
- Expression and prognostic relevance of endothelin-B receptor in vulvar cancer.
- Authors: Eltze E, Bertolin M, Korsching E, Wülfing P, Maggino T, Lellé R
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Role of endothelin B receptor in oligodendroglioma proliferation and survival: In vitro and in vivo evidence.
- Authors: Wan X, Zhang L, Jiang B
- Issue date: 2014 Jan