Self-Organization in Aggregating Robot Swarms: A DW-KNN Topological Approach
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2015-CRG4-2582
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627066
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn certain swarm applications, where the inter-agent distance is not the only factor in the collective behaviours of the swarm, additional properties such as density could have a crucial effect. In this paper, we propose applying a Distance-Weighted K-Nearest Neighbouring (DW-KNN) topology to the behaviour of robot swarms performing self-organized aggregation, in combination with a virtual physics approach to keep the robots together. A distance-weighted function based on a Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamic (SPH) interpolation approach, which is used to evaluate the robot density in the swarm, is applied as the key factor for identifying the K-nearest neighbours taken into account when aggregating the robots. The intra virtual physical connectivity among these neighbours is achieved using a virtual viscoelastic-based proximity model. With the ARGoS based-simulator, we model and evaluate the proposed approach, showing various self-organized aggregations performed by a swarm of N foot-bot robots. Also, we compared the aggregation quality of DW-KNN aggregation approach to that of the conventional KNN approach and found better performance.
CitationKhaldi B, Harrou F, Cherif F, Sun Y (2018) Self-Organization in Aggregating Robot Swarms: A DW-KNN Topological Approach. Biosystems. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystems.2018.01.005.
SponsorsThis publication is based upon a collaboration work supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) under Award No: OSR-2015-CRG4-2582, and the LESIA Laboratory, Department of Computer Science, University of Mohamed Khider,Biskra, Algeria. We would like to thank the reviewers of this article for their insightful comments, which helped us to greatly improve its quality.
- Generic, scalable and decentralized fault detection for robot swarms.
- Authors: Tarapore D, Christensen AL, Timmis J
- Issue date: 2017
- An immune-inspired swarm aggregation algorithm for self-healing swarm robotic systems.
- Authors: Timmis J, Ismail AR, Bjerknes JD, Winfield AF
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Evolution of Collective Behaviors for a Real Swarm of Aquatic Surface Robots.
- Authors: Duarte M, Costa V, Gomes J, Rodrigues T, Silva F, Oliveira SM, Christensen AL
- Issue date: 2016
- An approach to self-assembling swarm robots using multitree genetic programming.
- Authors: Lee JH, Ahn CW, An J
- Issue date: 2013
- Evolving self-assembly in autonomous homogeneous robots: experiments with two physical robots.
- Authors: Ampatzis C, Tuci E, Trianni V, Christensen AL, Dorigo M
- Issue date: 2009 Fall