Intercorrelated in-plane and out-of-plane ferroelectricity in ultrathin two-dimensional layered semiconductor In2Se3
Alshareef, Husam N.
KAUST DepartmentFunctional Nanomaterials and Devices Research Group
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Laboratory of Nano Oxides for Sustainable Energy
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2018-02-05
Print Publication Date2018-02-14
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/627063
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEnriching the functionality of ferroelectric materials with visible-light sensitivity and multiaxial switching capability would open up new opportunities for their applications in advanced information storage with diverse signal manipulation functions. We report experimental observations of robust intra-layer ferroelectricity in two-dimensional (2D) van der Waals layered -In2Se3 ultrathin flakes at room temperature. Distinct from other 2D and conventional ferroelectrics, In2Se3 exhibits intrinsically intercorrelated out-of-plane and in-plane polarization, where the reversal of the out-of-plane polarization by a vertical electric field also induces the rotation of the in-plane polarization. Based on the in-plane switchable diode effect and the narrow bandgap (~1.3 eV) of ferroelectric In2Se3, a prototypical non-volatile memory device, which can be manipulated both by electric field and visible light illumination, is demonstrated for advancing data storage technologies.
CitationCui C, Hu W-J, Yan X, Addiego C, Gao W, et al. (2018) Intercorrelated In-Plane and Out-of-Plane Ferroelectricity in Ultrathin Two-Dimensional Layered Semiconductor In2Se3. Nano Letters. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b04852.
SponsorsL.J.L. thanks the support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (Saudi Arabia). The work at University of California - Irvine was supported by the Department of Energy (DOE), Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Division of Materials Science and Engineering, under Grant under Grant No. DE-SC0014430, and the Irvine Materials Research Institute (IMRI). We would like to thank Dr. Toshi Aoki from IMRI for his help on S/TEM experiments.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Room-temperature ferroelectricity and a switchable diode effect in two-dimensional α-In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub> thin layers.
- Authors: Wan S, Li Y, Li W, Mao X, Zhu W, Zeng H
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 9
- Out-of-Plane Piezoelectricity and Ferroelectricity in Layered α-In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub> Nanoflakes.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Wu D, Zhu Y, Cho Y, He Q, Yang X, Herrera K, Chu Z, Han Y, Downer MC, Peng H, Lai K
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 13
- Prediction of intrinsic two-dimensional ferroelectrics in In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub> and other III<sub>2</sub>-VI<sub>3</sub> van der Waals materials.
- Authors: Ding W, Zhu J, Wang Z, Gao Y, Xiao D, Gu Y, Zhang Z, Zhu W
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 7
- Room temperature in-plane ferroelectricity in van der Waals In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub>.
- Authors: Zheng C, Yu L, Zhu L, Collins JL, Kim D, Lou Y, Xu C, Li M, Wei Z, Zhang Y, Edmonds MT, Li S, Seidel J, Zhu Y, Liu JZ, Tang WX, Fuhrer MS
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Room-temperature ferroelectricity in CuInP2S6 ultrathin flakes.
- Authors: Liu F, You L, Seyler KL, Li X, Yu P, Lin J, Wang X, Zhou J, Wang H, He H, Pantelides ST, Zhou W, Sharma P, Xu X, Ajayan PM, Wang J, Liu Z
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 11