Local Electronic Structure of a Single-Layer Porphyrin-Containing Covalent Organic Framework
Chavez, Anton D.
Dichtel, William R.
Crommie, Michael F.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Laboratory for Computational and Theoretical Chemistry of Advanced Materials
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-12-26
Print Publication Date2018-01-23
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626973
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have characterized the local electronic structure of a porphyrin-containing single-layer covalent organic framework (COF) exhibiting a square lattice. The COF monolayer was obtained by the deposition of 2,5-dimethoxybenzene-1,4-dicarboxaldehyde (DMA) and 5,10,15,20-tetrakis(4-aminophenyl) porphyrin (TAPP) onto a Au(111) surface in ultrahigh vacuum followed by annealing to facilitate Schiff-base condensations between monomers. Scanning tunneling spectroscopy (STS) experiments conducted on isolated TAPP precursor molecules and the covalently linked COF networks yield similar transport (HOMO-LUMO) gaps of 1.85 ± 0.05 eV and 1.98 ± 0.04 eV, respectively. The COF orbital energy alignment, however, undergoes a significant downward shift compared to isolated TAPP molecules due to the electron-withdrawing nature of the imine bond formed during COF synthesis. Direct imaging of the COF local density of states (LDOS) via dI/dV mapping reveals that the COF HOMO and LUMO states are localized mainly on the porphyrin cores and that the HOMO displays reduced symmetry. DFT calculations reproduce the imine-induced negative shift in orbital energies and reveal that the origin of the reduced COF wave function symmetry is a saddle-like structure adopted by the porphyrin macrocycle due to its interactions with the Au(111) substrate.
CitationChen C, Joshi T, Li H, Chavez AD, Pedramrazi Z, et al. (2017) Local Electronic Structure of a Single-Layer Porphyrin-Containing Covalent Organic Framework. ACS Nano 12: 385–391. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.7b06529.
SponsorsThis research was supported by the Army Research Office Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative (MURI) program under Grant No. W911NF-15-1-0447 (STM spectroscopy, precursor synthesis), by the Army Research Office Grant No. W911NF-17-1-0339 to Georgia Tech (DFT calculations), and by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Nanomachine Program under Contract No. DEAC02-05CH11231 (sample preparation). The KAUST IT Research Computing Team and the KAUST Supercomputing Laboratory are gratefully acknowledged for providing generous computational resources for part of our theoretical work. T.J. acknowledges support from NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program under Grant No. DGE 1106400. A.D.C. acknowledges support from the NDSEG Fellowship Program.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Local Electronic Structure of Molecular Heterojunctions in a Single-Layer 2D Covalent Organic Framework.
- Authors: Joshi T, Chen C, Li H, Diercks CS, Wang G, Waller PJ, Li H, Bredas JL, Yaghi OM, Crommie MF
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Revealing the Local Electronic Structure of a Single-Layer Covalent Organic Framework through Electronic Decoupling.
- Authors: Rizzo DJ, Dai Q, Bronner C, Veber G, Smith BJ, Matsumoto M, Thomas S, Nguyen GD, Forrester PR, Zhao W, Jørgensen JH, Dichtel WR, Fischer FR, Li H, Bredas JL, Crommie MF
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 12
- Electronic Structure of a Semiconducting Imine-Covalent Organic Framework.
- Authors: Mishra V, Yadav VK, Singh JK, Gopakumar TG
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 13
- Enforcing Extended Porphyrin J-Aggregate Stacking in Covalent Organic Frameworks.
- Authors: Keller N, Calik M, Sharapa D, Soni HR, Zehetmaier PM, Rager S, Auras F, Jakowetz AC, Görling A, Clark T, Bein T
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 5
- Surface-confined single-layer covalent organic framework on single-layer graphene grown on copper foil.
- Authors: Xu L, Zhou X, Tian WQ, Gao T, Zhang YF, Lei S, Liu ZF
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 1