AuthorsVakarelski, Ivan Uriev
Basheva, Elka S
Chan, Derek Y. C.
Thoroddsen, Sigurdur T.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Mechanical Engineering Program
Clean Combustion Research Center
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCoalescence dynamics between deformable bubbles and droplets can be dramatically affected by the mobility of the interfaces with fully tangentially mobile bubble-liquid or droplet-liquid interfaces expected to accelerate the coalescence by orders of magnitudes. However, there is a lack of systematic experimental investigations that quantify this effect. By using high speed camera imaging we examine the free rise and coalescence of small air-bubbles (100 to 1300 μm in diameter) with a liquid interface. A perfluorocarbon liquid, PP11 is used as a model liquid to investigate coalescence dynamics between fully-mobile and immobile deformable interfaces. The mobility of the bubble surface was determined by measuring the terminal rise velocity of small bubbles rising at Reynolds numbers, Re less than 0.1 and the mobility of free PP11 surface by measuring the deceleration kinetics of the small bubble toward the interface. Induction or film drainage times of a bubble at the mobile PP11-air surface were found to be more than two orders of magnitude shorter compared to the case of bubble and an immobile PP11-water interface. A theoretical model is used to illustrate the effect of hydrodynamics and interfacial mobility on the induction time or film drainage time. The results of this study are expected to stimulate the development of a comprehensive theoretical model for coalescence dynamics between two fully or partially mobile fluid interfaces.
CitationVakarelski IU, Manica R, Li EQ, Basheva ES, Chan DYC, et al. (2018) Coalescence Dynamics of Mobile and Immobile Fluid Interfaces. Langmuir. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b04106.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). D. Y. C. C. was supported by the Australian Research Council through a Discovery Project Grant No. DP170100376. We acknowledge Mr. Yuansi Tian for assistance in some of the experiments.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Dynamic Interaction between a Millimeter-Sized Bubble and Surface Microbubbles in Water.
- Authors: Liu B, Manica R, Zhang X, Bussonnière A, Xu Z, Xie G, Liu Q
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 2
- Stability of aqueous films between bubbles. Part 1. The effect of speed on bubble coalescence in purified water and simple electrolyte solutions.
- Authors: Yaminsky VV, Ohnishi S, Vogler EA, Horn RG
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 1
- The hydrodynamics of bubble rise and impact with solid surfaces.
- Authors: Manica R, Klaseboer E, Chan DYC
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Bubble coalescence during acoustic cavitation in aqueous electrolyte solutions.
- Authors: Browne C, Tabor RF, Chan DY, Dagastine RR, Ashokkumar M, Grieser F
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 4
- Direct observation of individual particle armored bubble interaction, stability, and coalescence dynamics.
- Authors: Tan SY, Ata S, Wanless EJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 18