Barbiturate End-Capped Non-Fullerene Acceptors for Organic Solar Cells: Tuning Acceptor Energetics to Suppress Geminate Recombination Losses
Jenekhe, Samson A.
Durrant, James R.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2015-CRG4-2572
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626848
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the synthesis of two barbiturate end-capped non-fullerene acceptors and demonstrate their efficient function in high voltage output organic solar cells. The acceptor with the lower LUMO level is shown to exhibit suppressed geminate recombination losses, resulting in enhanced photocurrent generation and higher overall device efficiency.
CitationTan C-H, Gorman J, Wadsworth A, Holliday S, Subramaniyan S, et al. (2018) Barbiturate end-capped non-fullerene acceptors for organic solar cells: tuning acceptor energetics to suppress geminate recombination losses. Chemical Communications. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c7cc09123k.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge KAUST for the funding (OSR-2015-CRG4-2572) and KAUST Center Competitive Fund. CH thanks MyBrainSc for PhD scholarship. SAJ and SS acknowledge funding under US NSF (CBET-1435912).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Reduced voltage losses yield 10% efficient fullerene free organic solar cells with >1 V open circuit voltages.
- Authors: Baran D, Kirchartz T, Wheeler S, Dimitrov S, Abdelsamie M, Gorman J, Ashraf RS, Holliday S, Wadsworth A, Gasparini N, Kaienburg P, Yan H, Amassian A, Brabec CJ, Durrant JR, McCulloch I
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1
- Energy Level Tuning of Non-Fullerene Acceptors in Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Cnops K, Zango G, Genoe J, Heremans P, Martinez-Diaz MV, Torres T, Cheyns D
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 22
- Fullerene-based materials for solar cell applications: design of novel acceptors for efficient polymer solar cells--a DFT study.
- Authors: Mohajeri A, Omidvar A
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 14
- Spin-enhanced organic bulk heterojunction photovoltaic solar cells.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Basel TP, Gautam BR, Yang X, Mascaro DJ, Liu F, Vardeny ZV
- Issue date: 2012
- High-Performance Solution-Processed Non-Fullerene Organic Solar Cells Based on Selenophene-Containing Perylene Bisimide Acceptor.
- Authors: Meng D, Sun D, Zhong C, Liu T, Fan B, Huo L, Li Y, Jiang W, Choi H, Kim T, Kim JY, Sun Y, Wang Z, Heeger AJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 13