Barbiturate End-Capped Non-Fullerene Acceptors for Organic Solar Cells: Tuning Acceptor Energetics to Suppress Geminate Recombination Losses
Jenekhe, Samson A.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2015-CRG4-2572
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the synthesis of two barbiturate end-capped non-fullerene acceptors and demonstrate their efficient function in high voltage output organic solar cells. The acceptor with the lower LUMO level is shown to exhibit suppressed geminate recombination losses, resulting in enhanced photocurrent generation and higher overall device efficiency.
CitationTan C-H, Gorman J, Wadsworth A, Holliday S, Subramaniyan S, et al. (2018) Barbiturate end-capped non-fullerene acceptors for organic solar cells: tuning acceptor energetics to suppress geminate recombination losses. Chemical Communications. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c7cc09123k.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge KAUST for the funding (OSR-2015-CRG4-2572) and KAUST Center Competitive Fund. CH thanks MyBrainSc for PhD scholarship. SAJ and SS acknowledge funding under US NSF (CBET-1435912).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Reduced voltage losses yield 10% efficient fullerene free organic solar cells with >1 V open circuit voltages.
- Authors: Baran D, Kirchartz T, Wheeler S, Dimitrov S, Abdelsamie M, Gorman J, Ashraf RS, Holliday S, Wadsworth A, Gasparini N, Kaienburg P, Yan H, Amassian A, Brabec CJ, Durrant JR, McCulloch I
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 1
- Energy Level Tuning of Non-Fullerene Acceptors in Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Cnops K, Zango G, Genoe J, Heremans P, Martinez-Diaz MV, Torres T, Cheyns D
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 22
- Non-fullerene electron acceptors for use in organic solar cells.
- Authors: Nielsen CB, Holliday S, Chen HY, Cryer SJ, McCulloch I
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 17
- Fullerene-based materials for solar cell applications: design of novel acceptors for efficient polymer solar cells--a DFT study.
- Authors: Mohajeri A, Omidvar A
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 14
- Organic solar cells based on non-fullerene acceptors.
- Authors: Hou J, Inganäs O, Friend RH, Gao F
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 23