An Alkylated Indacenodithieno[3,2-b ]thiophene-Based Nonfullerene Acceptor with High Crystallinity Exhibiting Single Junction Solar Cell Efficiencies Greater than 13% with Low Voltage Losses
Eisner, Flurin D.
Röhr, Jason A.
Chesman, Anthony S. R.
Easton, Christopher D.
McNeill, Christopher R.
Anthopoulos, Thomas D.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2018-01-09
Print Publication Date2018-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626846
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new synthetic route, to prepare an alkylated indacenodithieno[3,2-b]thiophene-based nonfullerene acceptor (C8-ITIC), is reported. Compared to the reported ITIC with phenylalkyl side chains, the new acceptor C8-ITIC exhibits a reduction in the optical band gap, higher absorptivity, and an increased propensity to crystallize. Accordingly, blends with the donor polymer PBDB-T exhibit a power conversion efficiency (PCE) up to 12.4%. Further improvements in efficiency are found upon backbone fluorination of the donor polymer to afford the novel material PFBDB-T. The resulting blend with C8-ITIC shows an impressive PCE up to 13.2% as a result of the higher open-circuit voltage. Electroluminescence studies demonstrate that backbone fluorination reduces the energy loss of the blends, with PFBDB-T/C8-ITIC-based cells exhibiting a small energy loss of 0.6 eV combined with a high JSC of 19.6 mA cm-2 .
CitationFei Z, Eisner FD, Jiao X, Azzouzi M, Röhr JA, et al. (2018) An Alkylated Indacenodithieno[3,2-b ]thiophene-Based Nonfullerene Acceptor with High Crystallinity Exhibiting Single Junction Solar Cell Efficiencies Greater than 13% with Low Voltage Losses. Advanced Materials: 1705209. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201705209.
SponsorsThe authors thank the British Council (337323) EPSRC (EP/L016702/1, EP/M025020/1, EP/P02484X/1), the Daphne Jackson Trust and the Australian Research Council (DP170102145) for the financial support. This work was performed in part on the SAXS/WAXS beamline at the Australian Synchrotron, part of ANSTO.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Single-Junction Binary-Blend Nonfullerene Polymer Solar Cells with 12.1% Efficiency.
- Authors: Zhao F, Dai S, Wu Y, Zhang Q, Wang J, Jiang L, Ling Q, Wei Z, Ma W, You W, Wang C, Zhan X
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Fuse the π-Bridge to Acceptor Moiety of Donor-π-Acceptor Conjugated Polymer: Enabling an All-Round Enhancement in Photovoltaic Parameters of Nonfullerene Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Yu L, Li Y, Wang Y, Wang X, Cui W, Wen S, Zheng N, Sun M, Yang R
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 28
- Effect of Non-fullerene Acceptors' Side Chains on the Morphology and Photovoltaic Performance of Organic Solar Cells.
- Authors: Zhang C, Feng S, Liu Y, Hou R, Zhang Z, Xu X, Wu Y, Bo Z
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 4
- A New Electron Acceptor with <i>meta</i>-Alkoxyphenyl Side Chain for Fullerene-Free Polymer Solar Cells with 9.3% Efficiency.
- Authors: Zhang Z, Feng L, Xu S, Liu Y, Peng H, Zhang ZG, Li Y, Zou Y
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- A Highly Crystalline Wide-Band-Gap Conjugated Polymer toward High-Performance As-Cast Nonfullerene Polymer Solar Cells.
- Authors: Jiang H, Wang Z, Zhang L, Zhong A, Liu X, Pan F, Cai W, Inganäs O, Liu Y, Chen J, Cao Y
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 18