KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626649
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo-dimensional (2D) materials are drawing growing attention for next-generation electronics and optoelectronics owing to its atomic thickness and unique physical properties. One of the challenges posed by 2D materials is the large source/drain (S/D) series resistance due to their thinness, which may be resolved by thickening the source and drain regions. Recently explored lateral graphene–MoS21−3 and graphene–WS21,4 heterostructures shed light on resolving the mentioned issues owing to their superior ohmic contact behaviors. However, recently reported field-effect transistors (FETs) based on graphene–TMD heterostructures have only shown n-type characteristics. The lack of p-type transistor limits their applications in complementary metal-oxide semiconductor electronics. In this work, we demonstrate p-type FETs based on graphene–WSe2 lateral heterojunctions grown with the scalable CVD technique. Few-layer WSe2 is overlapped with the multilayer graphene (MLG) at MLG–WSe2 junctions such that the contact resistance is reduced. Importantly, the few-layer WSe2 only forms at the junction region while the channel is still maintained as a WSe2 monolayer for transistor operation. Furthermore, by imposing doping to graphene S/D, 2 orders of magnitude enhancement in Ion/Ioff ratio to ∼108 and the unipolar p-type characteristics are obtained regardless of the work function of the metal in ambient air condition. The MLG is proposed to serve as a 2D version of emerging raised source/drain approach in electronics.
CitationTang H-L, Chiu M-H, Tseng C-C, Yang S-H, Hou K-J, et al. (2017) Multilayer Graphene–WSe2 Heterostructures for WSe2 Transistors. ACS Nano 11: 12817–12823. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.7b07755.
SponsorsThis research was funded by King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (Saudi Arabia). We would also like to acknowledge the support from Nanofabrication Core Lab in KAUST.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- High-Performance WSe2 Field-Effect Transistors via Controlled Formation of In-Plane Heterojunctions.
- Authors: Liu B, Ma Y, Zhang A, Chen L, Abbas AN, Liu Y, Shen C, Wan H, Zhou C
- Issue date: 2016 May 24
- Low-Resistance 2D/2D Ohmic Contacts: A Universal Approach to High-Performance WSe2, MoS2, and MoSe2 Transistors.
- Authors: Chuang HJ, Chamlagain B, Koehler M, Perera MM, Yan J, Mandrus D, Tománek D, Zhou Z
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 9
- Reversible Semiconducting-to-Metallic Phase Transition in Chemical Vapor Deposition Grown Monolayer WSe2 and Applications for Devices.
- Authors: Ma Y, Liu B, Zhang A, Chen L, Fathi M, Shen C, Abbas AN, Ge M, Mecklenburg M, Zhou C
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 28
- Rapid Flame Synthesis of Atomically Thin MoO<sub>3</sub> down to Monolayer Thickness for Effective Hole Doping of WSe<sub>2</sub>.
- Authors: Cai L, McClellan CJ, Koh AL, Li H, Yalon E, Pop E, Zheng X
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 14
- Two-Step Growth of Two-Dimensional WSe2/MoSe2 Heterostructures.
- Authors: Gong Y, Lei S, Ye G, Li B, He Y, Keyshar K, Zhang X, Wang Q, Lou J, Liu Z, Vajtai R, Zhou W, Ajayan PM
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 9