Liquid–Solid Dual-Gate Organic Transistors with Tunable Threshold Voltage for Cell Sensing
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLiquid electrolyte-gated organic field effect transistors and organic electrochemical transistors have recently emerged as powerful technology platforms for sensing and simulation of living cells and organisms. For such applications, the transistors are operated at a gate voltage around or below 0.3 V because prolonged application of a higher voltage bias can lead to membrane rupturing and cell death. This constraint often prevents the operation of the transistors at their maximum transconductance or most sensitive regime. Here, we exploit a solid–liquid dual-gate organic transistor structure, where the threshold voltage of the liquid-gated conduction channel is controlled by an additional gate that is separated from the channel by a metal-oxide gate dielectric. With this design, the threshold voltage of the “sensing channel” can be linearly tuned in a voltage window exceeding 0.4 V. We have demonstrated that the dual-gate structure enables a much better sensor response to the detachment of human mesenchymal stem cells. In general, the capability of tuning the optimal sensing bias will not only improve the device performance but also broaden the material selection for cell-based organic bioelectronics.
CitationZhang Y, Li J, Li R, Sbircea D-T, Giovannitti A, et al. (2017) Liquid–Solid Dual-Gate Organic Transistors with Tunable Threshold Voltage for Cell Sensing. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 9: 38687–38694. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b09384.
SponsorsWe gratefully acknowledge funding from the Research Grant Council of Hong Kong (grant no. CUHK14218716).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Control of Threshold Voltage for Top-Gated Ambipolar Field-Effect Transistor by Gate Buffer Layer.
- Authors: Khim D, Shin EY, Xu Y, Park WT, Jin SH, Noh YY
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13
- Tuning the threshold voltage in electrolyte-gated organic field-effect transistors.
- Authors: Kergoat L, Herlogsson L, Piro B, Pham MC, Horowitz G, Crispin X, Berggren M
- Issue date: 2012 May 29
- Dynamic and Tunable Threshold Voltage in Organic Electrochemical Transistors.
- Authors: Doris SE, Pierre A, Street RA
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Characterization and simulation of electrolyte-gated organic field-effect transistors.
- Authors: Melzer K, Brändlein M, Popescu B, Popescu D, Lugli P, Scarpa G
- Issue date: 2014
- Spatial control of p-n junction in an organic light-emitting electrochemical transistor.
- Authors: Liu J, Engquist I, Crispin X, Berggren M
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 18