Mesoporous Silica and Organosilica Nanoparticles: Physical Chemistry, Biosafety, Delivery Strategies, and Biomedical Applications
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPredetermining the physico-chemical properties, biosafety, and stimuli-responsiveness of nanomaterials in biological environments is essential for safe and effective biomedical applications. At the forefront of biomedical research, mesoporous silica nanoparticles and mesoporous organosilica nanoparticles are increasingly investigated to predict their biological outcome by materials design. In this review, it is first chronicled that how the nanomaterial design of pure silica, partially hybridized organosilica, and fully hybridized organosilica (periodic mesoporous organosilicas) governs not only the physico-chemical properties but also the biosafety of the nanoparticles. The impact of the hybridization on the biocompatibility, protein corona, biodistribution, biodegradability, and clearance of the silica-based particles is described. Then, the influence of the surface engineering, the framework hybridization, as well as the morphology of the particles, on the ability to load and controllably deliver drugs under internal biological stimuli (e.g., pH, redox, enzymes) and external noninvasive stimuli (e.g., light, magnetic, ultrasound) are presented. To conclude, trends in the biomedical applications of silica and organosilica nanovectors are delineated, such as unconventional bioimaging techniques, large cargo delivery, combination therapy, gaseous molecule delivery, antimicrobial protection, and Alzheimer's disease therapy.
CitationCroissant JG, Fatieiev Y, Almalik A, Khashab NM (2017) Mesoporous Silica and Organosilica Nanoparticles: Physical Chemistry, Biosafety, Delivery Strategies, and Biomedical Applications. Advanced Healthcare Materials: 1700831. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adhm.201700831.
JournalAdvanced Healthcare Materials
- Degradability and Clearance of Silicon, Organosilica, Silsesquioxane, Silica Mixed Oxide, and Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles.
- Authors: Croissant JG, Fatieiev Y, Khashab NM
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Ultrasmall mesoporous organosilica nanoparticles: Morphology modulations and redox-responsive biodegradability for tumor-specific drug delivery.
- Authors: Yu L, Chen Y, Lin H, Du W, Chen H, Shi J
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Facile Synthesis of Yolk-Shell-Structured Triple-Hybridized Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles for Biomedicine.
- Authors: Teng Z, Zhang J, Li W, Zheng Y, Su X, Tang Y, Dang M, Tian Y, Yuwen L, Weng L, Lu G, Wang L
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Two-Photon-Excited Silica and Organosilica Nanoparticles for Spatiotemporal Cancer Treatment.
- Authors: Croissant JG, Zink JI, Raehm L, Durand JO
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Mesoporous silica nanoparticles with organo-bridged silsesquioxane framework as innovative platforms for bioimaging and therapeutic agent delivery.
- Authors: Du X, Li X, Xiong L, Zhang X, Kleitz F, Qiao SZ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun