Endosomal Escape and Delivery of CRISPR/Cas9 Genome Editing Machinery Enabled by Nanoscale Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework
AuthorsAlsaiari, Shahad K.
Alyami, Mram Z.
Aleisa, Fajr A
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCRISPR/Cas9 is a combined protein (Cas9) and an engineered single guide RNA (sgRNA) genome editing platform that offers revolutionary solutions to genetic diseases. It has, however, a double delivery problem owning to the large protein size and the highly charged RNA component. In this work, we report the first example of CRISPR/Cas9 encapsulated by nanoscale zeolitic imidazole frameworks (ZIFs) with a loading efficiency of 17% and enhanced endosomal escape promoted by the protonated imidazole moieties. The gene editing potential of CRISPR/Cas9 encapsulated by ZIF-8 (CC-ZIFs) is further verified by knocking down the gene expression of green fluorescent protein by 37% over 4 days employing CRISPR/Cas9 machinery. The nanoscale CC-ZIFs are biocompatible and easily scaled-up offering excellent loading capacity and controlled co-delivery of intact Cas9 protein and sgRNA.
CitationAlsaiari SK, Patil S, Alyami M, Alamoudi K, Aleisa fajr, et al. (2017) Endosomal Escape and Delivery of CRISPR/Cas9 Genome Editing Machinery Enabled by Nanoscale Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework. Journal of the American Chemical Society. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.7b11754.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Hot News: Gene Therapy with CRISPR/Cas9 Coming to Age for HIV Cure.
- Authors: Soriano V
- Issue date: 2017 Oct-Dec
- High content analysis platform for optimization of lipid mediated CRISPR-Cas9 delivery strategies in human cells.
- Authors: Steyer B, Carlson-Stevermer J, Angenent-Mari N, Khalil A, Harkness T, Saha K
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 1
- Self-assembled DNA nanoclews for the efficient delivery of CRISPR-Cas9 for genome editing.
- Authors: Sun W, Ji W, Hall JM, Hu Q, Wang C, Beisel CL, Gu Z
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 5
- Therapeutic Genome Editing and its Potential Enhancement through CRISPR Guide RNA and Cas9 Modifications.
- Authors: Batzir NA, Tovin A, Hendel A
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Water-based synthesis of zeolitic imidazolate framework-90 (ZIF-90) with a controllable particle size.
- Authors: Shieh FK, Wang SC, Leo SY, Wu KC
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 19