Controlling Long-Lived Triplet Generation from Intramolecular Singlet Fission in the Solid State
AuthorsPace, Natalie A.
Arias, Dylan H.
Johnson, Justin C.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626317
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe conjugated polymer poly(benzothiophene dioxide) (PBTDO1) has recently been shown to exhibit efficient intramolecular singlet fission in solution. In this paper, we investigate the role of intermolecular interactions in triplet separation dynamics after singlet fission. We use transient absorption spectroscopy to determine the singlet fission rate and triplet yield in two polymers differing only by side chain motif in both solution and the solid state. Whereas solid-state films show singlet fission rates identical to those measured in solution, the average lifetime of the triplet population increases dramatically, and is strongly dependent on side-chain identity. These results show that it may be necessary to carefully engineer the solid-state microstructure of these “singlet fission polymers” in order to produce the long-lived triplets needed to realize efficient photovoltaic devices.
CitationPace NA, Zhang W, Arias DH, McCulloch I, Rumbles G, et al. (2017) Controlling Long-Lived Triplet Generation from Intramolecular Singlet Fission in the Solid State. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters: 6086–6091. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b02750.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Intramolecular Singlet Fission in an Antiaromatic Polycyclic Hydrocarbon.
- Authors: Wu Y, Wang Y, Chen J, Zhang G, Yao J, Zhang D, Fu H
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1
- New insights into the design of conjugated polymers for intramolecular singlet fission.
- Authors: Hu J, Xu K, Shen L, Wu Q, He G, Wang JY, Pei J, Xia J, Sfeir MY
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 31
- Striking the right balance of intermolecular coupling for high-efficiency singlet fission.
- Authors: Pensack RD, Tilley AJ, Grieco C, Purdum GE, Ostroumov EE, Granger DB, Oblinsky DG, Dean JC, Doucette GS, Asbury JB, Loo YL, Seferos DS, Anthony JE, Scholes GD
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 7
- Long-Lived Correlated Triplet Pairs in a π-Stacked Crystalline Pentacene Derivative.
- Authors: Folie BD, Haber JB, Refaely-Abramson S, Neaton JB, Ginsberg NS
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 14
- Activated singlet exciton fission in a semiconducting polymer.
- Authors: Musser AJ, Al-Hashimi M, Maiuri M, Brida D, Heeney M, Cerullo G, Friend RH, Clark J
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 28