Deep Ultraviolet Copper(I) Thiocyanate (CuSCN) Photodetectors Based on Coplanar Nanogap Electrodes Fabricated via Adhesion Lithography
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-11-27
Print Publication Date2017-12-06
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626275
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdhesion lithography (a-Lith) is a versatile fabrication technique used to produce asymmetric coplanar electrodes separated by a <15 nm nanogap. Here, we use a-Lith to fabricate deep ultraviolet (DUV) photodetectors by combining coplanar asymmetric nanogap electrode architectures (Au/Al) with solution-processable wide-band-gap (3.5–3.9 eV) p-type semiconductor copper(I) thiocyanate (CuSCN). Because of the device’s unique architecture, the detectors exhibit high responsivity (≈79 A W–1) and photosensitivity (≈720) when illuminated with a DUV-range (λpeak = 280 nm) light-emitting diode at 220 μW cm–2. Interestingly, the photosensitivity of the photodetectors remains fairly high (≈7) even at illuminating intensities down to 0.2 μW cm–2. The scalability of the a-Lith process combined with the unique properties of CuSCN paves the way to new forms of inexpensive, yet high-performance, photodetectors that can be manufactured on arbitrary substrate materials including plastic.
CitationWyatt-Moon G, Georgiadou DG, Semple J, Anthopoulos TD (2017) Deep Ultraviolet Copper(I) Thiocyanate (CuSCN) Photodetectors Based on Coplanar Nanogap Electrodes Fabricated via Adhesion Lithography. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b12942.
SponsorsG.W.M. and T.D.A. acknowledge the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) grant no. EP/G037515/1. D.G.G. and T.D.A. acknowledge financial support from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement 706707).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Solution-processed graphene quantum dot deep-UV photodetectors.
- Authors: Zhang Q, Jie J, Diao S, Shao Z, Zhang Q, Wang L, Deng W, Hu W, Xia H, Yuan X, Lee ST
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 24
- Radio Frequency Coplanar ZnO Schottky Nanodiodes Processed from Solution on Plastic Substrates.
- Authors: Semple J, Rossbauer S, Burgess CH, Zhao K, Jagadamma LK, Amassian A, McLachlan MA, Anthopoulos TD
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Physical properties of annealed ZnO nanowire/CuSCN heterojunctions for self-powered UV photodetectors.
- Authors: Garnier J, Parize R, Appert E, Chaix-Pluchery O, Kaminski-Cachopo A, Consonni V
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 18
- Semi-Transparent ZnO-CuI/CuSCN Photodiode Detector with Narrow-Band UV Photoresponse.
- Authors: Yang Z, Wang M, Ding J, Sun Z, Li L, Huang J, Liu J, Shao J
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 30
- Sub-15-nm patterning of asymmetric metal electrodes and devices by adhesion lithography.
- Authors: Beesley DJ, Semple J, Krishnan Jagadamma L, Amassian A, McLachlan MA, Anthopoulos TD, deMello JC
- Issue date: 2014 May 27