Deep Ultraviolet Copper(I) Thiocyanate (CuSCN) Photodetectors Based on Coplanar Nanogap Electrodes Fabricated via Adhesion Lithography
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdhesion lithography (a-Lith) is a versatile fabrication technique used to produce asymmetric coplanar electrodes separated by a <15 nm nanogap. Here, we use a-Lith to fabricate deep ultraviolet (DUV) photodetectors by combining coplanar asymmetric nanogap electrode architectures (Au/Al) with solution-processable wide-band-gap (3.5–3.9 eV) p-type semiconductor copper(I) thiocyanate (CuSCN). Because of the device’s unique architecture, the detectors exhibit high responsivity (≈79 A W–1) and photosensitivity (≈720) when illuminated with a DUV-range (λpeak = 280 nm) light-emitting diode at 220 μW cm–2. Interestingly, the photosensitivity of the photodetectors remains fairly high (≈7) even at illuminating intensities down to 0.2 μW cm–2. The scalability of the a-Lith process combined with the unique properties of CuSCN paves the way to new forms of inexpensive, yet high-performance, photodetectors that can be manufactured on arbitrary substrate materials including plastic.
CitationWyatt-Moon G, Georgiadou DG, Semple J, Anthopoulos TD (2017) Deep Ultraviolet Copper(I) Thiocyanate (CuSCN) Photodetectors Based on Coplanar Nanogap Electrodes Fabricated via Adhesion Lithography. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b12942.
SponsorsG.W.M. and T.D.A. acknowledge the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) grant no. EP/G037515/1. D.G.G. and T.D.A. acknowledge financial support from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement 706707).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Solution-processed graphene quantum dot deep-UV photodetectors.
- Authors: Zhang Q, Jie J, Diao S, Shao Z, Zhang Q, Wang L, Deng W, Hu W, Xia H, Yuan X, Lee ST
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 24
- Radio Frequency Coplanar ZnO Schottky Nanodiodes Processed from Solution on Plastic Substrates.
- Authors: Semple J, Rossbauer S, Burgess CH, Zhao K, Jagadamma LK, Amassian A, McLachlan MA, Anthopoulos TD
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Physical properties of annealed ZnO nanowire/CuSCN heterojunctions for self-powered UV photodetectors.
- Authors: Garnier J, Parize R, Appert E, Chaix-Pluchery O, Kaminski-Cachopo A, Consonni V
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 18
- Sub-15-nm patterning of asymmetric metal electrodes and devices by adhesion lithography.
- Authors: Beesley DJ, Semple J, Krishnan Jagadamma L, Amassian A, McLachlan MA, Anthopoulos TD, deMello JC
- Issue date: 2014 May 27
- Semi-Transparent ZnO-CuI/CuSCN Photodiode Detector with Narrow-Band UV Photoresponse.
- Authors: Yang Z, Wang M, Ding J, Sun Z, Li L, Huang J, Liu J, Shao J
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 30