Dugasani, Sreekantha Reddy
Lee, Yong Uk
Oh, Min Suk
Anthopoulos, Thomas D.
Park, Sung Ha
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-11-06
Print Publication Date2017-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626166
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecently, deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) is studied for electronics due to its intrinsic benefits such as its natural plenitude, biodegradability, biofunctionality, and low-cost. However, its applications are limited to passive components because of inherent insulating properties. In this report, a metal-insulator-metal tunnel diode with Au/DNA/NiOx junctions is presented. Through the self-aligning process of DNA molecules, a 2D DNA nanosheet is synthesized and used as a tunneling barrier, and semitransparent conducting oxide (NiOx ) is applied as a top electrode for resolving metal penetration issues. This molecular device successfully operates as a nonresonant tunneling diode, and temperature-variable current-voltage analysis proves that Fowler-Nordheim tunneling is a dominant conduction mechanism at the junctions. DNA-based tunneling devices appear to be promising prototypes for nanoelectronics using biomolecules.
CitationYoon M, Min S-W, Dugasani SR, Lee YU, Oh MS, et al. (2017) Charge Transport in 2D DNA Tunnel Junction Diodes. Small: 1703006. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smll.201703006.
SponsorsM.Y. and S.-W.M. contributed equally to this work. The authors acknowledge the financial support from NRF (NRL program: Grant No. 2017R1A2A1A05001278, SRC program: Grant No. 2017R1A5A1014862, vdWMRC center), and from Nano Material Technology Development Program: Grant no. 2012M3A7B4049801.
- Ultrathin and Atomically Flat Transition-Metal Oxide: Promising Building Blocks for Metal-Insulator Electronics.
- Authors: Cui Q, Sakhdari M, Chamlagain B, Chuang HJ, Liu Y, Cheng MM, Zhou Z, Chen PY
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 21
- ZnO Nanorods on a LaAlO3 -SrTiO3 Interface: Hybrid 1D-2D Diodes with Engineered Electronic Properties.
- Authors: Bera A, Lin W, Yao Y, Ding J, Lourembam J, Wu T
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 10
- Fabrication and Characterization of ZnO Langmuir-Blodgett Film and Its Use in Metal-Insulator-Metal Tunnel Diode.
- Authors: Azad I, Ram MK, Goswami DY, Stefanakos E
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 23
- Towards molecular electronics with large-area molecular junctions.
- Authors: Akkerman HB, Blom PW, de Leeuw DM, de Boer B
- Issue date: 2006 May 4
- Bilayer insulator tunnel barriers for graphene-based vertical hot-electron transistors.
- Authors: Vaziri S, Belete M, Dentoni Litta E, Smith AD, Lupina G, Lemme MC, Östling M
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 14