Wavy Architecture Thin-Film Transistor for Ultrahigh Resolution Flexible Displays
AuthorsHanna, Amir Nabil
Kutbee, Arwa Talal
Subedi, Ram Chandra
Ooi, Boon S.
Hussain, Muhammad Mustafa
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Integrated Disruptive Electronic Applications (IDEA) Lab
Integrated Nanotechnology Lab
KAUST Nanophotonics Lab; King Abdullah University of Science and Technology; Thuwal 23955-6900 Saudi Arabia
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2015-Sensors-2707
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626149
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA novel wavy-shaped thin-film-transistor (TFT) architecture, capable of achieving 70% higher drive current per unit chip area when compared with planar conventional TFT architectures, is reported for flexible display application. The transistor, due to its atypical architecture, does not alter the turn-on voltage or the OFF current values, leading to higher performance without compromising static power consumption. The concept behind this architecture is expanding the transistor's width vertically through grooved trenches in a structural layer deposited on a flexible substrate. Operation of zinc oxide (ZnO)-based TFTs is shown down to a bending radius of 5 mm with no degradation in the electrical performance or cracks in the gate stack. Finally, flexible low-power LEDs driven by the respective currents of the novel wavy, and conventional coplanar architectures are demonstrated, where the novel architecture is able to drive the LED at 2 × the output power, 3 versus 1.5 mW, which demonstrates the potential use for ultrahigh resolution displays in an area efficient manner.
CitationHanna AN, Kutbee AT, Subedi RC, Ooi B, Hussain MM (2017) Wavy Architecture Thin-Film Transistor for Ultrahigh Resolution Flexible Displays. Small: 1703200. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smll.201703200.
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank PhD student Ms. Rabab Bahbary for her help with editing the figures. This publication is based upon work supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) under Award No. OSR-2015-Sensors-2707.
- Flexible integrated diode-transistor logic (DTL) driving circuits based on printed carbon nanotube thin film transistors with low operation voltage.
- Authors: Liu T, Zhao J, Xu W, Dou J, Zhao X, Deng W, Wei C, Xu W, Guo W, Su W, Jie J, Cui Z
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 3
- High performance thin film transistor with ZnO channel layer deposited by DC magnetron sputtering.
- Authors: Moon YK, Moon DY, Lee SH, Jeong CO, Park JW
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Fully Solution-Processed and Foldable Metal-Oxide Thin-Film Transistor.
- Authors: Lee SJ, Ko J, Nam KH, Kim T, Lee SH, Kim JH, Chae GS, Han H, Kim YS, Myoung JM
- Issue date: 2016 May 25
- Contact resistance reduction of ZnO thin film transistors (TFTs) with saw-shaped electrode.
- Authors: Park W, Shaikh SF, Min JW, Lee SK, Lee BH, Hussain MM
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 10
- Remarkably High Mobility Thin-Film Transistor on Flexible Substrate by Novel Passivation Material.
- Authors: Shih CW, Chin A
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 25