Potential of Transition Metal Atoms Embedded in Buckled Monolayer g-C3N4 as Single-Atom Catalysts
KAUST DepartmentComputational Physics and Materials Science (CPMS)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626100
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe use first-principles calculations to systematically explore the potential of transition metal atoms (Sc, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Ru, Rh, Pd, Ag, Ir, Pt, and Au) embedded in buckled monolayer g-C3N4 as single-atom catalysts. We show that clustering of Sc and Ti on g-C3N4 is thermodynamically impeded and that V, Cr, Mn, and Cu are much less susceptible to clustering than the other TM atoms under investigation. Strong bonding of the transition metal atoms in the cavities of g-C3N4 and high diffusion barriers together are responsible for single-atom fixation. Analysis of the CO oxidation process indicates that embedding of Cr and Mn in g-C3N4 gives rise to promising single-atom catalysts at low temperature.
CitationLi S-L, Kan X, Yin H, Gan L-Y, Schwingenschlogl U, et al. (2017) Potential of Transition Metal Atoms Embedded in Buckled Monolayer g-C3N4 as Single-Atom Catalysts. Phys Chem Chem Phys. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c7cp05195f.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC, Grant No.11504303) and the Graduate Innovative Experimental Practice Project of SWJTU (Grant No.YC201511102). We thank the National Supercomputing Center in Guangzhou for computational resources (Tianhe II supercomputer) and technical support. The research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). For computer time, this research used the resources of the Supercomputing Laboratory at KAUST.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Transition-metal single atoms embedded into defective BC(3) as efficient electrocatalysts for oxygen evolution and reduction reactions.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Gao G, Chu W, Wang LW
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 21
- Tuning the electronic structures and magnetism of two-dimensional porous C2N via transition metal embedding.
- Authors: Du J, Xia C, Xiong W, Zhao X, Wang T, Jia Y
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 10
- Structures, and electronic and spectral properties of single-atom transition metal-doped boron clusters MB(24) (-) (M = Sc, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, and Ni).
- Authors: Li SX, Yang YJ, Chen DL, Long ZW
- Issue date: 2022 Jun 1
- Single transition metal atom embedded antimonene monolayers as efficient trifunctional electrocatalysts for the HER, OER and ORR: a density functional theory study.
- Authors: Lu S, Huynh HL, Lou F, Guo K, Yu Z
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 14
- Carbon and Oxygen Coordinating Atoms Adjust Transition Metal Single-Atom Catalysts Based On Boron Nitride Monolayers for Highly Efficient CO(2) Electroreduction.
- Authors: Wang W, Li D, Cui T
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 28