Potential of Transition Metal Atoms Embedded in Buckled Monolayer g-C3N4 as Single-Atom Catalysts
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe use first-principles calculations to systematically explore the potential of transition metal atoms (Sc, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Ru, Rh, Pd, Ag, Ir, Pt, and Au) embedded in buckled monolayer g-C3N4 as single-atom catalysts. We show that clustering of Sc and Ti on g-C3N4 is thermodynamically impeded and that V, Cr, Mn, and Cu are much less susceptible to clustering than the other TM atoms under investigation. Strong bonding of the transition metal atoms in the cavities of g-C3N4 and high diffusion barriers together are responsible for single-atom fixation. Analysis of the CO oxidation process indicates that embedding of Cr and Mn in g-C3N4 gives rise to promising single-atom catalysts at low temperature.
CitationLi S-L, Kan X, Yin H, Gan L-Y, Schwingenschlogl U, et al. (2017) Potential of Transition Metal Atoms Embedded in Buckled Monolayer g-C3N4 as Single-Atom Catalysts. Phys Chem Chem Phys. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c7cp05195f.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC, Grant No.11504303) and the Graduate Innovative Experimental Practice Project of SWJTU (Grant No.YC201511102). We thank the National Supercomputing Center in Guangzhou for computational resources (Tianhe II supercomputer) and technical support. The research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). For computer time, this research used the resources of the Supercomputing Laboratory at KAUST.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalPhys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
- Tuning the electronic structures and magnetism of two-dimensional porous C2N via transition metal embedding.
- Authors: Du J, Xia C, Xiong W, Zhao X, Wang T, Jia Y
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 10
- Predictions of the Pt(8)Ti phase in unexpected systems.
- Authors: Taylor RH, Curtarolo S, Hart GL
- Issue date: 2010 May 19
- Phosphomolybdic acid supported single-metal-atom catalysis in CO oxidation: first-principles calculations.
- Authors: Yu MA, Feng Y, Gao L, Lin S
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 8
- Adsorption of transition-metal atoms on boron nitride nanotube: a density-functional study.
- Authors: Wu X, Zeng XC
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 28
- First Principles Study on the CO Oxidation on Mn-Embedded Divacancy Graphene.
- Authors: Jiang Q, Zhang J, Ao Z, Huang H, He H, Wu Y
- Issue date: 2018