Spin-Charge Separation in Finite Length Metallic Carbon Nanotubes
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing time-dependent density functional theory, we study the optical excitations in finite length carbon nanotubes. Evidence of spin-charge separation is given in the spacetime domain. We demonstrate that the charge density wave is due to collective excitations of electron singlets, while the accompanying spin density wave is due to those of electron triplets. The Tomonaga–Luttinger liquid parameter and density–density interaction are extrapolated from the first-principles excitation energies. We show that the density–density interaction increases with the length of the nanotube. The singlet and triplet excitation energies, on the other hand, decrease for increasing length of the nanotube. Their ratio is used to establish a first-principles approach for deriving the Tomonaga–Luttinger parameter (in excellent agreement with experimental data). Time evolution analysis of the charge and spin line densities evidences that the charge and spin density waves are elementary excitations of metallic carbon nanotubes. Their dynamics show no dependence on each other.
CitationZhang Y, Zhang Q, Schwingenschlögl U (2017) Spin-Charge Separation in Finite Length Metallic Carbon Nanotubes. Nano Letters. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b02880.
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). It was also supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC grant no. 11304015).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Terahertz Spectroscopy of Individual Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes as a Probe of Luttinger Liquid Physics.
- Authors: Chudow JD, Santavicca DF, Prober DE
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 10
- Detection of spin entanglement via spin-charge separation in crossed Tomonaga-Luttinger liquids.
- Authors: Schroer A, Braunecker B, Levy Yeyati A, Recher P
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 31
- Probing spin-charge separation in a Tomonaga-Luttinger liquid.
- Authors: Jompol Y, Ford CJ, Griffiths JP, Farrer I, Jones GA, Anderson D, Ritchie DA, Silk TW, Schofield AJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 31
- Evidence for spin-charge separation in quasi-one-dimensional organic conductors.
- Authors: Lorenz T, Hofmann M, Grüninger M, Freimuth A, Uhrig GS, Dumm M, Dressel M
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 8
- Narrow-gap Luttinger liquid in carbon nanotubes.
- Authors: Levitov LS, Tsvelik AM
- Issue date: 2003 Jan 10