Ponticoccus marisrubri sp. nov., a moderately halophilic marine bacterium of the family Rhodobacteraceae
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Marine Science Program
Office of the VP
Red Sea Research Center (RSRC)
Online Publication Date2017-10-06
Print Publication Date2017-11-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626032
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStrain SJ5A-1T, a Gram-stain-negative, coccus-shaped, non-motile, aerobic bacterium, was isolated from the brine-seawater interface of the Erba Deep in the Red Sea, Saudi Arabia. The colonies of strain SJ5A-1T have a beige to pale-brown pigmentation, are approximately 0.5-0.7 µm in diameter, and are catalase and oxidase positive. Growth occurred optimally at 30-33 °C, pH 7.0-7.5, and in the presence of 9.0-12.0 % NaCl (w/v). Phylogenetic analysis of the 16S rRNA gene indicates that strain SJ5A-1T is a member of the genus Ponticoccus within the family Rhodobacteraceae. Ponticoccus litoralis DSM 18986T is the most closely related described species based on 16S rRNA gene sequence identity (96.7 %). The DNA-DNA hybridization value between strain SJ5A-1T and P. litoralis DSM 18986T was 36.7 %. The major respiratory quinone of strain SJ5A-1T is Q-10; it predominantly uses the fatty acids C18 : 1 (54.2 %), C18 : 0 (11.2 %), C16 : 0 (8.6 %), 11-methyl C18 : 1ω7c (7.7 %), C19 : 0cyclo ω8c (3.3 %), and C12 : 1 3-OH (3.5 %), and its major polar lipids are phosphatidylethanolamine, phosphatidylglycerol, phosphocholine, an unknown aminolipid, an unknown phospholipid and two unknown lipids. The genome draft of strain SJ5A-1T as presented here is 4 562 830 bp in size and the DNA G+C content is 68.0 mol %. Based on phenotypic, phylogenetic and genotypic data, strain SJ5A-1T represents a novel species in the genus Ponticoccus, for which we propose the name Ponticoccus marisrubri sp. nov. The type strain of P. marisrubri is SJ5A-1T (=JCM 19520T=ACCC19863T).
CitationZhang G, Haroon MF, Zhang R, Dong X, Liu D, et al. (2017) Ponticoccus marisrubri sp. nov., a moderately halophilic marine bacterium of the family Rhodobacteraceae. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/ijsem.0.002280.
SponsorsThis work was supported by baseline funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) and the Saudi Economic and Development Company Research Excellence Award to U.S. Part of this work was supported by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Hatch project 1012953.
- Ruegeria profundi sp. nov. and Ruegeria marisrubri sp. nov., isolated from the brine-seawater interface at Erba Deep in the Red Sea.
- Authors: Zhang G, Haroon MF, Zhang R, Dong X, Wang D, Liu Y, Xun W, Dong X, Stingl U
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Profundibacterium mesophilum gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel member in the family Rhodobacteraceae isolated from deep-sea sediment in the Red Sea, Saudi Arabia.
- Authors: Lai PY, Miao L, Lee OO, Liu LL, Zhou XJ, Xu Y, Al-Suwailem A, Qian PY
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Ponticoccus lacteus sp. nov. of the family Rhodobacteraceae, isolated from surface seawater.
- Authors: Yang Y, Sun J, Tang K, Lin D, Li C, Lin Y
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Ponticoccus litoralis gen. nov., sp. nov., a marine bacterium in the family Rhodobacteraceae.
- Authors: Hwang CY, Cho BC
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Alkalimicrobium pacificum gen. nov., sp. nov., a marine bacterium in the family Rhodobacteraceae.
- Authors: Zhang G, Yang Y, Wang S, Sun Z, Jiao K
- Issue date: 2015 Aug