Female Infertility Caused by Mutations in the Oocyte-Specific Translational Repressor PATL2
Alsaif, Hessa S.
Arold, Stefan T.
Alkuraya, Fowzan S.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInfertility is a relatively common disorder of the reproductive system and remains unexplained in many cases. In vitro fertilization techniques have uncovered previously unrecognized infertility phenotypes, including oocyte maturation arrest, the molecular etiology of which remains largely unknown. We report two families affected by female-limited infertility caused by oocyte maturation failure. Positional mapping and whole-exome sequencing revealed two homozygous, likely deleterious variants in PATL2, each of which fully segregates with the phenotype within the respective family. PATL2 encodes a highly conserved oocyte-specific mRNP repressor of translation. Previous data have shown the strict requirement for PATL2 in oocyte-maturation in model organisms. Data gathered from the families in this study suggest that the role of PATL2 is conserved in humans and expand our knowledge of the factors that are necessary for female meiosis.
CitationMaddirevula S, Coskun S, Alhassan S, Elnour A, Alsaif HS, et al. (2017) Female Infertility Caused by Mutations in the Oocyte-Specific Translational Repressor PATL2. The American Journal of Human Genetics 101: 603–608. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajhg.2017.08.009.
SponsorsWe thank the study participants for their enthusiastic participation. We also thank the Sequencing and Genotyping Core Facilities at the King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center for their technical help. This work was funded in part by the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (13-BIO1113-20), and we acknowledge the support of the Saudi Human Genome Project. The research reported by S.T.A. in this publication was supported by funding from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
- Biallelic Mutations in PATL2 Cause Female Infertility Characterized by Oocyte Maturation Arrest.
- Authors: Chen B, Zhang Z, Sun X, Kuang Y, Mao X, Wang X, Yan Z, Li B, Xu Y, Yu M, Fu J, Mu J, Zhou Z, Li Q, Jin L, He L, Sang Q, Wang L
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 5
- Novel mutations in PATL2 cause female infertility with oocyte germinal vesicle arrest.
- Authors: Huang L, Tong X, Wang F, Luo L, Jin R, Fu Y, Zhou G, Li D, Song G, Liu Y, Zhu F
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 1
- Maturation arrest of human oocytes as a cause of infertility: case report.
- Authors: Levran D, Farhi J, Nahum H, Glezerman M, Weissman A
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Novel mutations and structural deletions in TUBB8: expanding mutational and phenotypic spectrum of patients with arrest in oocyte maturation, fertilization or early embryonic development.
- Authors: Chen B, Li B, Li D, Yan Z, Mao X, Xu Y, Mu J, Li Q, Jin L, He L, Kuang Y, Sang Q, Wang L
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- PATL2 is a key actor of oocyte maturation whose invalidation causes infertility in women and mice.
- Authors: Christou-Kent M, Kherraf ZE, Amiri-Yekta A, Le Blévec E, Karaouzène T, Conne B, Escoffier J, Assou S, Guttin A, Lambert E, Martinez G, Boguenet M, Fourati Ben Mustapha S, Cedrin Durnerin I, Halouani L, Marrakchi O, Makni M, Latrous H, Kharouf M, Coutton C, Thierry-Mieg N, Nef S, Bottari SP, Zouari R, Issartel JP, Ray PF, Arnoult C
- Issue date: 2018 May