Localized Electrochemiluminescence from Nanoneedle Electrodes for Very-high-density Electrochemical Sensing
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/626021
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this paper, localized electrochemiluminescence (ECL) was visualized from nanoneedle electrodes that achieved very-high-density electrochemical sensing. The localized luminescence at the nanometer-sized tip observed was ascribed to enhanced mass transfer of the luminescence probe at the tip than on the planar surface surrounding the tip, which provided higher luminescence at the tip. The size of the luminescence spots was restricted to 15 μm permitting the electrochemical analysis with a density over 4 × 103 spots/mm2. The positive correlation between the luminescence intensity at the tips and the concentration of hydrogen peroxide supported the quantitative ECL analysis using nanoneedle electrodes. The further modification of glucose oxidase at the electrode surface conceptually demonstrated that the concentration of glucose ranging from 0.5 to 5 mM could be quantified using the luminescence at the tips, which could be further applied for the detection of multiple molecules in the complex biosystem. This successful localized ECL offers a specific strategy for the development of very-high-density electrochemical arrays without the complicated chip design.
CitationZhang J, Zhou J, Tian C, Yang S, Jiang D, et al. (2017) Localized Electrochemiluminescence from Nanoneedle Electrodes for Very-High-Density Electrochemical Sensing. Analytical Chemistry. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.analchem.7b02363.
SponsorsThis work was supported by National Key Research and Development Program (Grant 2016YFA0201203) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grants 21327902 and 21575060). C.T., S.Y., and X.-X.Z. would like to acknowledge the financial support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Visual Color-Switch Electrochemiluminescence Biosensing of Cancer Cell Based on Multichannel Bipolar Electrode Chip.
- Authors: Zhang HR, Wang YZ, Zhao W, Xu JJ, Chen HY
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 1
- Electrochemiluminescence imaging for parallel single-cell analysis of active membrane cholesterol.
- Authors: Zhou J, Ma G, Chen Y, Fang D, Jiang D, Chen HY
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 18
- Quantum dot (QD)-modified carbon tape electrodes for reproducible electrochemiluminescence (ECL) emission on a paper-based platform.
- Authors: Shi CG, Shan X, Pan ZQ, Xu JJ, Lu C, Bao N, Gu HY
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 20
- Sensitive determination of bromhexine hydrochloride based on its quenching effect on luminol/H<sub>2</sub> O<sub>2</sub> electrochemiluminescence system.
- Authors: Kong D, Huang S, Cheng J, Zhuang Q, Liu Y, Lu CH
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Intensification of the electrochemiluminescence of luminol on hollow TiO₂ nanoshell-modified indium tin oxide electrodes.
- Authors: Hong J, Ming L, Tu Y
- Issue date: 2014 Oct