MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFlexible electronics will form the basis of many next-generation technologies, such as wearable devices, biomedical sensors, the Internet of things, and more. However, most flexible devices can bear strains of less than 300% as a result of stretching. In this work, we demonstrate a simple and low-cost paper-based photodetector array featuring superior deformability using printable ZnO nanowires, carbon electrodes, and origami-based techniques. With a folded Miura structure, the paper photodetector array can be oriented in four different directions via tessellated parallelograms to provide the device with excellent omnidirectional light harvesting capabilities. Additionally, we demonstrate that the device can be repeatedly stretched (up to 1000% strain), bent (bending angle ±30°), and twisted (up to 360°) without degrading performance as a result of the paper folding technique, which enables the ZnO nanowire layers to remain rigid even as the device is deformed. The origami-based strategy described herein suggests avenues for the development of next-generation deformable optoelectronic applications.
CitationLin C-H, Tsai D-S, Wei T-C, Lien D-H, Ke J-J, et al. (2017) Highly Deformable Origami Paper Photodetector Arrays. ACS Nano 11: 10230–10235. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.7b04804.
SponsorsThis work was financially supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) (OSR-2016-CRG5-3005), KAUST solar center (FCC/1/3079-08-01), and KAUST baseline funding.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Origami lithium-ion batteries.
- Authors: Song Z, Ma T, Tang R, Cheng Q, Wang X, Krishnaraju D, Panat R, Chan CK, Yu H, Jiang H
- Issue date: 2014
- An Origami Perovskite Photodetector with Spatial Recognition Ability.
- Authors: Fang H, Li J, Ding J, Sun Y, Li Q, Sun JL, Wang L, Yan Q
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 29
- Low-Cost Flexible ZnO Microwires Array Ultraviolet Photodetector Embedded in PAVL Substrate.
- Authors: Sun X, Azad F, Wang S, Zhao L, Su S
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 10
- Flexible Photodetector Arrays Based on Patterned CH<sub>3</sub> NH<sub>3</sub> PbI<sub>3-</sub> <sub>x</sub> Cl<sub>x</sub> Perovskite Film for Real-Time Photosensing and Imaging.
- Authors: Wu W, Wang X, Han X, Yang Z, Gao G, Zhang Y, Hu J, Tan Y, Pan A, Pan C
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 28
- Highly transparent AgNW/PDMS stretchable electrodes for elastomeric electrochromic devices.
- Authors: Liu HS, Pan BC, Liou GS
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 16