KAUST DepartmentChemical Engineering Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-10-19
Print Publication Date2017-10-20
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625923
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe use of external stimuli to manipulate the properties of well-defined materials may find applications in on-demand drug delivery, separation of molecules, sensing, smart coatings, or artificial tissues (1). Most of these applications rely on changes in the shape, stiffness, pore size, or other properties of soft materials in response to external pressure, temperature changes, or electric or magnetic fields. However, the lack of long-range order in polymers makes it difficult to control their porosity and, hence, permeability. On page 347 of this issue, Knebel et al. (2) instead manipulate metal-organic framework (MOF) membranes. They show that the membrane pore size can change upon exposure to an external electric field, enabling precise separation of different gas molecules.
CitationGascon J (2017) Flicking the switch on a molecular gate. Science 358: 303–303. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.aap8267.
- Flicking the Warburg switch-tyrosine phosphorylation of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase regulates mitochondrial activity in cancer cells.
- Authors: Schulze A, Downward J
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 23
- Flicking the Berry phase switch.
- Authors: Stajic J
- Issue date: 2017 May 26
- Do terrestrial hermit crabs sniff? Air flow and odorant capture by flicking antennules.
- Authors: Waldrop LD, Koehl MA
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Flicking method: a novel colonoscope insertion method for surveillance colonoscopy in ulcerative colitis patients.
- Authors: Sato T, Miyawaki T, Katsuno T, Nakagawa T, Inoue M, Watanabe Y, Hishikawa E, Arai M, Yokosuka O
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Photoisomerization action spectroscopy: flicking the protonated merocyanine-spiropyran switch in the gas phase.
- Authors: Markworth PB, Adamson BD, Coughlan NJ, Goerigk L, Bieske EJ
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 21