Mixed-Penetrant Sorption in Ultra-Thin Films of Polymer of Intrinsic Microporosity PIM-1
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
KAUST Grant NumberOSR-2015-SEED-2445-01
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625906
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMixed penetrant sorption into ultra-thin films of a super-glassy polymer of intrinsic microporosity (PIM-1) was studied for the first time by using interference-enhanced in-situ spectroscopic ellipsometry. PIM-1 swelling and the concurrent changes in its refractive index were determined in ultra-thin (12 - 14 nm) films exposed to pure and mixed penetrants. The penetrants included water, n-hexane and ethanol and were chosen based on their significantly different penetrant-penetrant and penetrant-polymer affinities. This allowed studying microporous polymer responses at diverse ternary compositions and revealed effects such as competition for the sorption sites (for water / n-hexane or ethanol / n-hexane) or enhancement in sorption of typically weakly sorbing water in the presence of more highly sorbing ethanol. The results reveal details of the mutual sorption effects which often complicate comprehension of glassy polymers' behavior in applications such as high-performance membranes, adsorbents or catalysts. Mixed-penetrant effects are typically very challenging to study directly and their understanding is necessary owing to a broadly recognized inadequacy of simple extrapolations from measurements in pure component environment.
CitationOgieglo W, Furchner A, Ghanem BS, Ma X-H, Pinnau I, et al. (2017) Mixed-Penetrant Sorption in Ultra-Thin Films of Polymer of Intrinsic Microporosity PIM-1. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.7b10061.
SponsorsThis publication is based upon work supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) under Award No. SEED Fund OSR-2015-SEED-2445-01.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- How Do Organic Vapors Swell Ultrathin Films of Polymer of Intrinsic Microporosity PIM-1?
- Authors: Ogieglo W, Rahimi K, Rauer SB, Ghanem B, Ma X, Pinnau I, Wessling M
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 27
- High-Pressure CO<sub>2</sub> Sorption in Polymers of Intrinsic Microporosity under Ultrathin Film Confinement.
- Authors: Ogieglo W, Ghanem B, Ma X, Wessling M, Pinnau I
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 4
- Sorption Behavior of Compressed CO2 and CH4 on Ultrathin Hybrid Poly(POSS-imide) Layers.
- Authors: Raaijmakers MJ, Ogieglo W, Wiese M, Wessling M, Nijmeijer A, Benes NE
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 9
- How Much Do Ultrathin Polymers with Intrinsic Microporosity Swell in Liquids?
- Authors: Ogieglo W, Ghanem B, Ma X, Pinnau I, Wessling M
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 6
- The fabrication of ultrathin films and their gas separation performance from polymers of intrinsic microporosity with two-dimensional (2D) and three-dimensional (3D) chain conformations.
- Authors: Benito J, Vidal J, Sánchez-Laínez J, Zornoza B, Téllez C, Martín S, Msayib KJ, Comesaña-Gándara B, McKeown NB, Coronas J, Gascón I
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 15