Atomic-Monolayer Two-Dimensional Lateral Quasi-Heterojunction Bipolar Transistors with Resonant Tunneling Phenomenon
Wang, Kang L.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh-frequency operation with ultra-thin, lightweight and extremely flexible semiconducting electronics are highly desirable for the development of mobile devices, wearable electronic systems and defense technologies. In this work, the first experimental observation of quasi-heterojunction bipolar transistors utilizing a monolayer of the lateral WSe2-MoS2 junctions as the conducting p-n channel is demonstrated. Both lateral n-p-n and p-n-p heterojunction bipolar transistors are fabricated to exhibit the output characteristics and current gain. A maximum common-emitter current gain of around 3 is obtained in our prototype two-dimensional quasi-heterojunction bipolar transistors. Interestingly, we also observe the negative differential resistance in the electrical characteristics. A potential mechanism is that the negative differential resistance is induced by resonant tunneling phenomenon due to the formation of quantum well under applying high bias voltages. Our results open the door to two-dimensional materials for high-frequency, high-speed, high-density and flexible electronics.
CitationLin C-Y, Zhu X, Tsai S-H, Tsai S-P, Lei S, et al. (2017) Atomic-Monolayer Two-Dimensional Lateral Quasi-Heterojunction Bipolar Transistors with Resonant Tunneling Phenomenon. ACS Nano. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.7b05012.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Science Council, Taiwan under contract No. MOST 105-2112-M-492-003-MY3. This work was also in part supported by the National Nano Device Laboratories and Core facilities at UCLA. We would like to acknowledge the collaboration of this research with King Abdul-Aziz City for Science and Technologies (CEGN).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Transport Properties of a MoS2/WSe2 Heterojunction Transistor and Its Potential for Application.
- Authors: Nourbakhsh A, Zubair A, Dresselhaus MS, Palacios T
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 10
- NANOELECTRONICS. Epitaxial growth of a monolayer WSe2-MoS2 lateral p-n junction with an atomically sharp interface.
- Authors: Li MY, Shi Y, Cheng CC, Lu LS, Lin YC, Tang HL, Tsai ML, Chu CW, Wei KH, He JH, Chang WH, Suenaga K, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 31
- Observation of Switchable Photoresponse of a Monolayer WSe2-MoS2 Lateral Heterostructure via Photocurrent Spectral Atomic Force Microscopic Imaging.
- Authors: Son Y, Li MY, Cheng CC, Wei KH, Liu P, Wang QH, Li LJ, Strano MS
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 8
- Vertically Stacked and Self-Encapsulated van der Waals Heterojunction Diodes Using Two-Dimensional Layered Semiconductors.
- Authors: Miao J, Xu Z, Li Q, Bowman A, Zhang S, Hu W, Zhou Z, Wang C
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 24
- Atomic-Monolayer MoS<sub>2</sub> Band-to-Band Tunneling Field-Effect Transistor.
- Authors: Lan YW, Torres CM Jr, Tsai SH, Zhu X, Shi Y, Li MY, Li LJ, Yeh WK, Wang KL
- Issue date: 2016 Nov