Optimization of Monochromated TEM for Ultimate Resolution Imaging and Ultrahigh Resolution Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
Computer, Elec, Math Sciences & Eng, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Thuwal, Saudi Arabia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe performance of a monochromated transmission electron microscope with Wien type monochromator is optimized to achieve an extremely narrow energy spread of electron beam and an ultrahigh energy resolution with spectroscopy. The energy spread in the beam is improved by almost an order of magnitude as compared to specified values. The optimization involves both the monochromator and the electron energy loss detection system. We demonstrate boosted capability of optimized systems with respect to ultra-low loss EELS and sub-angstrom resolution imaging (in a combination with spherical aberration correction).
CitationLopatin S, Cheng B, Liu W-T, Tsai M-L, He J-H, et al. (2018) Optimization of monochromated TEM for ultimate resolution imaging and ultrahigh resolution electron energy loss spectroscopy. Ultramicroscopy 184: 109–115. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ultramic.2017.08.016.
SponsorsAuthors would like to thank Dr. Peter C Tiemeijer from FEI Co for fruitful comments and discussions regarding the monochromator operation and optimization. Also we would like to acknowledge Dmitry Melnikau for providing a sample of Ag nanowires.
- The development of a 200 kV monochromated field emission electron source.
- Authors: Mukai M, Kim JS, Omoto K, Sawada H, Kimura A, Ikeda A, Zhou J, Kaneyama T, Young NP, Warner JH, Nellist PD, Kirkland AI
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Development of a monochromator for aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy.
- Authors: Mukai M, Okunishi E, Ashino M, Omoto K, Fukuda T, Ikeda A, Somehara K, Kaneyama T, Saitoh T, Hirayama T, Ikuhara Y
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Aberration-corrected STEM for atomic-resolution imaging and analysis.
- Authors: Krivanek OL, Lovejoy TC, Dellby N
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Using a monochromator to improve the resolution in TEM to below 0.5Å. Part I: Creating highly coherent monochromated illumination.
- Authors: Tiemeijer PC, Bischoff M, Freitag B, Kisielowski C
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- First experimental test of a new monochromated and aberration-corrected 200 kV field-emission scanning transmission electron microscope.
- Authors: Walther T, Quandt E, Stegmann H, Thesen A, Benner G
- Issue date: 2006 Oct-Nov