Electronic Properties of a 1D Intrinsic/p-Doped Heterojunction in a 2D Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Semiconductor
Wong, Swee Liang
Zheng, Yu Jie
Huang, Yu Li
Wee, Andrew Thye Shen
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-08-03
Print Publication Date2017-09-26
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625708
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwo-dimensional (2D) semiconductors offer a convenient platform to study 2D physics, for example, to understand doping in an atomically thin semiconductor. Here, we demonstrate the fabrication and unravel the electronic properties of a lateral doped/intrinsic heterojunction in a single-layer (SL) tungsten diselenide (WSe2), a prototype semiconducting transition metal dichalcogenide (TMD), partially covered with a molecular acceptor layer, on a graphite substrate. With combined experiments and theoretical modeling, we reveal the fundamental acceptor-induced p-doping mechanism for SL-WSe2. At the 1D border between the doped and undoped SL-WSe2 regions, we observe band bending and explain it by Thomas-Fermi screening. Using atomically resolved scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy, the screening length is determined to be in the few nanometer range, and we assess the carrier density of intrinsic SL-WSe2. These findings are of fundamental and technological importance for understanding and employing surface doping, for example, in designing lateral organic TMD heterostructures for future devices.
CitationSong Z, Schultz T, Ding Z, Lei B, Han C, et al. (2017) Electronic Properties of a 1D Intrinsic/p-Doped Heterojunction in a 2D Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Semiconductor. ACS Nano 11: 9128–9135. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.7b03953.
SponsorsA.T.S.W. acknowledges financial support from MOE AcRF Tier 1 Grant Number R-144-000-321-112 and the Graphene Research Centre. Y.L.H. and D.C. acknowledge the A-STAR SERC grant support for the 2D growth project under the 2D pharos program (SERC 1527000012). Work in Berlin was supported by the DFG (SFB951 and AM419/1-1). Calculations were performed on the Graphene Research Centre cluster supported by Prof. Su Ying Quek.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Band Alignment at GaN/Single-Layer WSe<sub>2</sub> Interface.
- Authors: Tangi M, Mishra P, Tseng CC, Ng TK, Hedhili MN, Anjum DH, Alias MS, Wei N, Li LJ, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 15
- Atomically thin heterostructures based on single-layer tungsten diselenide and graphene.
- Authors: Lin YC, Chang CY, Ghosh RK, Li J, Zhu H, Addou R, Diaconescu B, Ohta T, Peng X, Lu N, Kim MJ, Robinson JT, Wallace RM, Mayer TS, Datta S, Li LJ, Robinson JA
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 10
- Self-limiting layer-by-layer oxidation of atomically thin WSe2.
- Authors: Yamamoto M, Dutta S, Aikawa S, Nakaharai S, Wakabayashi K, Fuhrer MS, Ueno K, Tsukagoshi K
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 11
- Large scale 2D/3D hybrids based on gallium nitride and transition metal dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Zhang K, Jariwala B, Li J, Briggs NC, Wang B, Ruzmetov D, Burke RA, Lerach JO, Ivanov TG, Haque M, Feenstra RM, Robinson JA
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 21
- Electronic Structure, Surface Doping, and Optical Response in Epitaxial WSe2 Thin Films.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Ugeda MM, Jin C, Shi SF, Bradley AJ, Martín-Recio A, Ryu H, Kim J, Tang S, Kim Y, Zhou B, Hwang C, Chen Y, Wang F, Crommie MF, Hussain Z, Shen ZX, Mo SK
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 13