Synthesis and Characterization of a Novel Microporous Dihydroxyl-Functionalized Triptycene-Diamine-Based Polyimide for Natural Gas Membrane Separation
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-07-10
Print Publication Date2017-09
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625678
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn intrinsically microporous polyimide is synthesized in m-cresol by a one-pot high-temperature condensation reaction of 4,4'-(hexafluoroisopropylidene)diphthalic anhydride (6FDA) and newly designed 2,6 (7)-dihydroxy-3,7(6)-diaminotriptycene (DAT1-OH). The 6FDA-DAT1-OH polyimide is thermally stable up to 440 °C, shows excellent solubility in polar solvents, and has moderately high Brunauer-Teller-Emmett (BET) surface area of 160 m2 g-1 , as determined by nitrogen adsorption at -196 °C. Hydroxyl functionalization applied to the rigid 3D triptycene-based diamine building block results in a polyimide that exhibits moderate pure-gas CO2 permeability of 70 Barrer combined with high CO2 /CH4 selectivity of 50. Mixed-gas permeation studies demonstrate excellent plasticization resistance of 6FDA-DAT1-OH with impressive performance as potential membrane material for natural gas sweetening with a CO2 permeability of 50 Barrer and CO2 /CH4 selectivity of 40 at a typical natural gas well partial pressure of 10 atm.
CitationAlaslai N, Ma X, Ghanem B, Wang Y, Alghunaimi F, et al. (2017) Synthesis and Characterization of a Novel Microporous Dihydroxyl-Functionalized Triptycene-Diamine-Based Polyimide for Natural Gas Membrane Separation. Macromolecular Rapid Communications 38: 1700303. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/marc.201700303.
SponsorsThis research was supported by funding from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Bifunctionalized Intrinsically Microporous Polyimides with Simultaneously Enhanced Gas Permeability and Selectivity.
- Authors: Ma X, Mukaddam M, Pinnau I
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- A New Pentiptycene-Based Dianhydride and Its High-Free-Volume Polymer for Carbon Dioxide Removal.
- Authors: Shamsabadi AA, Seidi F, Nozari M, Soroush M
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 23
- Gas separation performance of carbon molecular sieve membranes based on 6FDA-mPDA/DABA (3:2) polyimide.
- Authors: Qiu W, Zhang K, Li FS, Zhang K, Koros WJ
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- High performance MIL-101(Cr)@6FDA-mPD and MOF-199@6FDA-mPD mixed-matrix membranes for CO(2)/CH(4) separation.
- Authors: Nuhnen A, Klopotowski M, Tanh Jeazet HB, Sorribas S, Zornoza B, Téllez C, Coronas J, Janiak C
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 11
- Synthesis and Gas-Permeation Characterization of a Novel High-Surface Area Polyamide Derived from 1,3,6,8-Tetramethyl-2,7-diaminotriptycene: Towards Polyamides of Intrinsic Microporosity (PIM-PAs).
- Authors: Genduso G, Ghanem BS, Wang Y, Pinnau I
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 19