Epitaxial Growth of Two-Dimensional Layered Transition-Metal Dichalcogenides: Growth Mechanism, Controllability, and Scalability
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-07-06
Print Publication Date2018-07-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625664
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecently there have been many research breakthroughs in two-dimensional (2D) materials including graphene, boron nitride (h-BN), black phosphors (BPs), and transition-metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs). The unique electrical, optical, and thermal properties in 2D materials are associated with their strictly defined low dimensionalities. These materials provide a wide range of basic building blocks for next-generation electronics. The chemical vapor deposition (CVD) technique has shown great promise to generate high-quality TMDC layers with scalable size, controllable thickness, and excellent electronic properties suitable for both technological applications and fundamental sciences. The capability to precisely engineer 2D materials by chemical approaches has also given rise to fascinating new physics, which could lead to exciting new applications. In this Review, we introduce the latest development of TMDC synthesis by CVD approaches and provide further insight for the controllable and reliable synthesis of atomically thin TMDCs. Understanding of the vapor-phase growth mechanism of 2D TMDCs could benefit the formation of complicated heterostructures and novel artificial 2D lattices.
CitationLi H, Li Y, Aljarb A, Shi Y, Li L-J (2017) Epitaxial Growth of Two-Dimensional Layered Transition-Metal Dichalcogenides: Growth Mechanism, Controllability, and Scalability. Chemical Reviews. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.7b00212.
SponsorsThis work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant no. 51602200), Educational Commission of Guangdong Province (Grant no. 2016KZDXM008), Natural Science Foundation of SZU (Grant no. 2017011), and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia. This work was partially supported by the Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangdong Province (Grant no. 2016B050501005), the Educational Commission of Guangdong Province (Grant no. 2016KCXTD006), and Shenzhen Peacock Plan (Grant no. KQTD2016053112042971).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Recent advances in controlled synthesis of two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides via vapour deposition techniques.
- Authors: Shi Y, Li H, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2015 May 7
- An open canvas--2D materials with defects, disorder, and functionality.
- Authors: Zou X, Yakobson BI
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 20
- Laterally Stitched Heterostructures of Transition Metal Dichalcogenide: Chemical Vapor Deposition Growth on Lithographically Patterned Area.
- Authors: Li H, Li P, Huang JK, Li MY, Yang CW, Shi Y, Zhang XX, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 22
- Direct Epitaxial Synthesis of Selective Two-Dimensional Lateral Heterostructures.
- Authors: Lee J, Pak S, Lee YW, Park Y, Jang AR, Hong J, Cho Y, Hou B, Lee S, Jeong HY, Shin HS, Morris SM, Cha S, Sohn JI, Kim JM
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 26
- Recent Progress in CVD Growth of 2D Transition Metal Dichalcogenides and Related Heterostructures.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Yao Y, Sendeku MG, Yin L, Zhan X, Wang F, Wang Z, He J
- Issue date: 2019 Oct