Functionalized metal organic frameworks for effective capture of radioactive organic iodides
Chabal, Yves J.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHighly efficient capture of radioactive organic iodides (ROIs) from off-gas mixtures remains a substantial challenge for nuclear waste treatment. Current materials utilized for ROI sequestration suffer from low capacity, high cost (e.g. use of noble metals), and poor recyclability. Recently, we have developed a new strategy to tackle this challenge by functionalizing MOF materials with tertiary amines to create molecular traps for the effective capture and removal of ROIs (e.g. radioactive methyl iodide) from nuclear wastes. To further enhance the uptake capacity and performance of CH3I capture by ROI molecular traps, herein, we carry out a systematic study to investigate the effect of different amine molecules on ROI capture. The results demonstrate a record-high CH3I saturation uptake capacity of 80% for MIL-101-Cr-DMEDA at 150 °C, which is 5.3 times that of Ag0@MOR (15 wt%), a leading adsorbent material for capturing ROIs during nuclear fuel reprocessing. Furthermore, the CH3I decontamination factors (DFs) for MIL-101-Cr-DMEDA are as high as 5000 under simulated reprocessing conditions, largely exceeding that of facility regulatory requirements (DF = 3000). In addition, MIL-101-Cr-DMEDA can be recycled without loss of capacity, illustrating yet another advantage compared to known industrial adsorbents, which are typically of a
CitationLi B, Dong X, Wang H, Ma D, Tan K, et al. (2017) Functionalized metal organic frameworks for effective capture of radioactive organic iodides. Faraday Discuss 201: 47–61. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c7fd00013h.
SponsorsFinancial support from the Materials Chemistry Program, Office of Science – Basic Energy Sciences of the U.S. Department of Energy through Grant No. DE-FG02-08ER-46491 is gratefully acknowledged. We would also like to acknowledge Micromeritics Instrument Corp. for the donation of a new 3Flex system through its Instrument Grant program.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Capture of organic iodides from nuclear waste by metal-organic framework-based molecular traps.
- Authors: Li B, Dong X, Wang H, Ma D, Tan K, Jensen S, Deibert BJ, Butler J, Cure J, Shi Z, Thonhauser T, Chabal YJ, Han Y, Li J
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 7
- Potential of metal-organic frameworks for separation of xenon and krypton.
- Authors: Banerjee D, Cairns AJ, Liu J, Motkuri RK, Nune SK, Fernandez CA, Krishna R, Strachan DM, Thallapally PK
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 17
- Incorporation of Alkylamine into Metal-Organic Frameworks through a Brønsted Acid-Base Reaction for CO<sub>2</sub> Capture.
- Authors: Li H, Wang K, Feng D, Chen YP, Verdegaal W, Zhou HC
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 6
- Probing Metal-Organic Framework Design for Adsorptive Natural Gas Purification.
- Authors: Joshi JN, Zhu G, Lee JJ, Carter EA, Jones CW, Lively RP, Walton KS
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 24
- Radioactive Barium Ion Trap Based on Metal-Organic Framework for Efficient and Irreversible Removal of Barium from Nuclear Wastewater.
- Authors: Peng Y, Huang H, Liu D, Zhong C
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 6