Single Atomically Sharp Lateral Monolayer p-n Heterojunction Solar Cells with Extraordinarily High Power Conversion Efficiency
Duran Retamal, Jose Ramon
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe recent development of 2D monolayer lateral semiconductor has created new paradigm to develop p-n heterojunctions. Albeit, the growth methods of these heterostructures typically result in alloy structures at the interface, limiting the development for high-efficiency photovoltaic (PV) devices. Here, the PV properties of sequentially grown alloy-free 2D monolayer WSe-MoS lateral p-n heterojunction are explores. The PV devices show an extraordinary power conversion efficiency of 2.56% under AM 1.5G illumination. The large surface active area enables the full exposure of the depletion region, leading to excellent omnidirectional light harvesting characteristic with only 5% reduction of efficiency at incident angles up to 75°. Modeling studies demonstrate the PV devices comply with typical principles, increasing the feasibility for further development. Furthermore, the appropriate electrode-spacing design can lead to environment-independent PV properties. These robust PV properties deriving from the atomically sharp lateral p-n interface can help develop the next-generation photovoltaics.
CitationTsai M-L, Li M-Y, Retamal JRD, Lam K-T, Lin Y-C, et al. (2017) Single Atomically Sharp Lateral Monolayer p-n Heterojunction Solar Cells with Extraordinarily High Power Conversion Efficiency. Advanced Materials 29: 1701168. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201701168.
SponsorsThis research was supported by KAUST baseline funding.
- NANOELECTRONICS. Epitaxial growth of a monolayer WSe2-MoS2 lateral p-n junction with an atomically sharp interface.
- Authors: Li MY, Shi Y, Cheng CC, Lu LS, Lin YC, Tang HL, Tsai ML, Chu CW, Wei KH, He JH, Chang WH, Suenaga K, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 31
- Engineering graphene and TMDs based van der Waals heterostructures for photovoltaic and photoelectrochemical solar energy conversion.
- Authors: Li C, Cao Q, Wang F, Xiao Y, Li Y, Delaunay JJ, Zhu H
- Issue date: 2018 May 8
- Electroluminescence and photocurrent generation from atomically sharp WSe2/MoS2 heterojunction p-n diodes.
- Authors: Cheng R, Li D, Zhou H, Wang C, Yin A, Jiang S, Liu Y, Chen Y, Huang Y, Duan X
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 8
- Visualizing band offsets and edge states in bilayer-monolayer transition metal dichalcogenides lateral heterojunction.
- Authors: Zhang C, Chen Y, Huang JK, Wu X, Li LJ, Yao W, Tersoff J, Shih CK
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 18
- Monolayer MoS2 heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Tsai ML, Su SH, Chang JK, Tsai DS, Chen CH, Wu CI, Li LJ, Chen LJ, He JH
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 26