Direct-Indirect Nature of the Bandgap in Lead-Free Perovskite Nanocrystals
Parida, Manas R.
Ahmed, Ghada H.
Mohammed, Omar F.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625634
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith record efficiencies achieved in lead halide perovskite-based photovoltaics, urgency has shifted toward finding alternative materials that are stable and less toxic. Bismuth-based perovskite materials are currently one of the most promising candidates among those alternatives. However, the band structures of these materials, including the nature of the bandgaps, remain elusive due to extremely low photoluminescence quantum yield (PLQY) and scattering issues in their thin-film form. Here, we reveal the specific nature of the material's electronic transitions by realizing monodisperse colloidal nanocrystals (NCs) of hexagonal-phase Cs3Bi2X9 perovskites, which afford well-resolved PL features. Interestingly, the PL profile exhibits a dual-spectral feature at room temperature with comparable intensities, based on which we propose an exciton recombination process involving both indirect and direct transitions simultaneously-an observation further supported by temperature-dependent and density functional theory (DFT) calculations. Our findings provide experimental and theoretical insights into the nature of the bandgaps in bismuth halide materials-essential information for assessing their viability in solar cells and optoelectronics.
CitationZhang Y, Yin J, Parida MR, Ahmed GH, Pan J, et al. (2017) Direct-Indirect Nature of the Bandgap in Lead-Free Perovskite Nanocrystals. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 8: 3173–3177. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b01381.
SponsorsThis work was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- A Bismuth-Halide Double Perovskite with Long Carrier Recombination Lifetime for Photovoltaic Applications.
- Authors: Slavney AH, Hu T, Lindenberg AM, Karunadasa HI
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 24
- Zero-Dimensional Cs<sub>4</sub>PbBr<sub>6</sub> Perovskite Nanocrystals.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Saidaminov MI, Dursun I, Yang H, Murali B, Alarousu E, Yengel E, Alshankiti BA, Bakr OM, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 2
- Size of the Organic Cation Tunes the Band Gap of Colloidal Organolead Bromide Perovskite Nanocrystals.
- Authors: Mittal M, Jana A, Sarkar S, Mahadevan P, Sapra S
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 18
- Lead-Free, Blue Emitting Bismuth Halide Perovskite Quantum Dots.
- Authors: Leng M, Chen Z, Yang Y, Li Z, Zeng K, Li K, Niu G, He Y, Zhou Q, Tang J
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 21
- Computational screening of methylammonium based halide perovskites with bandgaps suitable for perovskite-perovskite tandem solar cells.
- Authors: Kar M, Körzdörfer T
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 7